Thursday, October 16, 2008

One Good Hero


Not all heroes are Hugh-in-a-towel. Lovely as he is, some others are equally memorable.

One of them is Paul Newman -- a leading man who was more than just a pretty face. He was a heartthrob with a brain, a conscience and a talent for not just acting, but for making other people feel as if they, not he, were really the stars.

I grew up watching Paul Newman, frankly wishing he'd passed on some of the anti-heroes he played because I always wanted to like his characters. Now I can appreciate the challenge that appealed to him. At the time, they weren't my favorites.

My favorite, I suppose, was Butch Cassidy. But Lew Harper, his wry laconic detective, ran a close second. And when I saw Nobody's Fool I fell in love with him all over again.

I wrote a piece 'remembering Paul' for Friday Night Film Night at the Pink Heart (it's Friday by now somewhere) so if you want a trip down memory lane, recalling some of the reasons we should be grateful for the gift that was Paul Newman, drop by.

I'd love to hear which of his films you enjoyed. Gunnar might even be persuaded to make me part with a book or two if he likes your answer!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's hard not to admire Paul Newman for putting his money to work in such productive ways, such as his Newman's Own line--high quality stuff and the proceeds go to good causes... very smart.

16 October, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne, I so agree. A brain and a conscience are so-o-o sexy, especially when teemed with the slow regard of those deep blue eyes.

What a loss.

Glad you're back safe and blogging.

17 October, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Totally agree, Movie Fan.

And Sophie, I'm glad to be back, too. Though I'm leaving again tomorrow! I'll be blogging, though.

18 October, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home