Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Flirting with Charley

Charley could be trouble.

On the plus side, he works hard, he's competent, he has stamina, he hasn't crashed yet, and he hasn't overheated.

On the downside, he's a babe magnet.

Worse, he knows it. Oh, dear.

He's been propositioned twice in the comment section (once by a luscious pink Aussie laptop and once by a hot lipstick red babe called Dell who lives in England). Today, when I took him to the hospital to work while I waited for my neighbor who was having surgery, he got propositioned three times!

By women who didn't even have computers. They wanted him for themselves!

Word is spreading.

Mary Ann's hot red Vivienne has been calling and leaving messages. The lady in the hospital gift shop told him she already had diamonds, she just needed a good . . . um, computer.

He's listening. He's got out his little black book (or the digital equivalent thereof) and he's taking names and numbers.

I'm concerned. I had no idea he was going to be so . . . appealing. Not to everyone else, that is.

He says I should be glad he makes friends easily. He's even arguing that we ought to go to a conference where he can meet my friends. I don't think so.

I think he's going to stay right here and help me finish Demetrios and Anny, and then if he's very very very good, he might (MIGHT!) be the computer who gets to come with me when I head back to Montana and Washington in July.

I told him that.

He said he is very very very good.

And then he winked at me.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

Hi Anne,

I love your books. On Rach's reccomendation I'm looking forward to Savas' Defiant Mistress.

While Charley sounds great and all, I have a sleek midnight blue Dell called Ender who wants the ladies out there to know they shouldn't be swept off their keyboards by the first handsome laptop to come along!

03 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Becca!
Thanks for stopping by and putting Charley in his place! Ender is right, of course. But Charley is young and handsome and, although refurbished, which means he's seen a bit of the world, perhaps not quite ready to sweep all the pretty young things off their keyboards.

I'm quite sure Ender, as a handsome midnight blue chap, has plenty of the ladies interested in him, too.

I hope you enjoy Seb's book when you read it. He would be appalled to know I'm anthropomorphizing computers. I would think I should know better. He might even take it up with Demetrios, which frankly I could do without!

03 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

I meant, HE would think I would know better!

03 June, 2009  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

"The Liz Machine" is in love with Charley, too. Well, it's lonely in here all by herself while I'm down the Snap & Scribble working on her big sister.

Behave now, Charley. We're all waiting for Anne's new book.

04 June, 2009  
Blogger Kate Hardy said...

LOL, Anne. I was thinking of getting a laptop. If mine turns out to be called Seb, he might ask Charley if he fancies going trolling for chicks...

Fancy writing longhand? (ducks)

04 June, 2009  
Blogger Real Life Sarah said...

It's so wonderful to find a computer you love! I've been "with" my little Japanese fellow (Toshiba) for 6 months now, and it definitely true love!

04 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Liz, You definitely have to let "the Liz Machine" out more. Lonely is not good (so says Charley)!

Kate, longhand might be more restful. And yes, Charley says to tell Seb that he's definitely interested. I said, "NOT if I'm on deadline!"

Sarah, thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it. And your "little Japanese fellow" sounds charming. Long may you enjoy him.

04 June, 2009  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

She does sometimes make to the Snap & Scribble, Anne, but she's my internet machine and needs to be within reasonable distance of the hub.

Actually she's sulking because Charley and Seb are planning a boys night out.

04 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Liz,
Tell her that Charley is (sigh) open to suggestions. He could be persuaded, I expect! He might not want to hang around 'the hub' though as it would be a little too much like being chaperoned at a junior high school dance, he says.

Where did this laptop go to school? How does he knowthese things?

I can see right now I better work hard to keep him busy.

04 June, 2009  
Blogger Sierra Donovan said...

Oooo ... Charley sounds very sleek and sexy. But I must stick with my klunky old Dell for now. The one with the battery that won't stay on for more than 30 seconds. Best thing about him? His wireless card *is* yanked out, and I don't dare put it back in because his virus protection is expired!

I gave him a name, too, when I got him -- the computer asked for something during setup. I think it was something like "Herman." Maybe THAT's his problem!

04 June, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Sierra, I have lived with Old Wonky who might have been separated at birth from your Herman (as they seem to have similar battery life and a removable wireless card) for four plus years. He has served faithfully and been basically a good guy, although that overheating bit got pretty old. I think he'll enjoy going to live with my grandson. It might give him a new lease on life.

You could be right about having called your guy "Herman," though. Maybe that is his problem!

Get AVG anti-virus. It's free and it works (just be sure to download the free version, rather than the paid one).

04 June, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home