Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mom Camp III

Here we are at Mom Camp.

Well, not this pic. This is the grandkids -- and several hundred kids all at the same camp. But because they are, we have Mom Camp for the third year running.

It's the week my daughter and I look forward to all year, when her daughter and whichever cousins are the right age (only one this year) go to our local university sports camp from 8:30 in the morning until 9:30 in the evening and she and I get to enjoy each other's company.

This year Mom Camp has taken a slightly different spin because our side-kick and honorary member, my cousin's 16 year old daughter, isn't here to join us. She thought the Naval Academy at Annapolis was a better alternative. Some people really have no idea about what constitutes A Good Thing.

So it's just been the two of us -- and she had to give a final and do some preparation for fall classes, and I finally have my revision letter. So the mornings at Mom Camp are filled with WORK (and occasional breaks for tea and the Tour de France).

The afternoons, however, we've been doing fun stuff -- and napping. As a rule I don't nap. It usually makes me feel worse than I felt simply tired. But I've been fading in the afternoons so far this week, so I haven't fought it off or 'played through' it.

Last year, you may remember that we had a crisis on the first day of sports camp when the elder child knocked out his teeth. This year -- so far -- no one has done anything untoward. At least no one we're related to.

But the week is early yet. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

Hard to type that way, but I feel it's safer.

The revision letter was very useful. I'm blessed with an editor who has both a grasp of what the book needs and what I do well. And she's probably the only editor for Presents who has ever told ME to make my hero nicer.

Nicer?

Hard to imagine. McAllister heroes ARE nice. They could hardly be nicer.

And yet, I understand what she's saying. When they brood they can get surly and annoying -- and she wants Demetrios to stop being quite so surly.

No problem. I can do that. It's the surly bit that I have trouble with (maybe that's why it didn't work).

I'm very glad she knows what I can do -- what my voice requires -- and encourages me to do it. Don't know how much of it I'm going to be able to finish this week, but if I don't get it all done (and that doesn't seem likely), it will come along with me on our trip west.

I wish I could leave it here for Mitch and Micah and the dogsitters who are living with them, but I can't expect them to do revisions for me, too.

People are beginning to gather in Washington, DC for the RWA National conference. I've had emails from a couple of friends who've arrived today and spoke with Anne Gracie who is in New York visiting her editor and agent before the conference. I envy them the trip, but I have plans of my own for NYC coming up in the autumn.

But more about that later. In the meantime, I'm off to revise chapter three.

Happy Anniversary to Kate Walker and Mr Kate Walker who are, even as I write this, winging their way to Washington. Hope you and the mister enjoy the conference, Kate.

If you were at RNA, did you have a good time? What was the best part? If you're on your way to RWA, I don't expect you'll have time to comment, but I'd love to hear from you about the conference and what you learned.

Don't forget, if you haven't entered Sol's contest, you have until July 16th to do so. Send entries from the contest webpage, please.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachael Johns said...

Hey Anne

Sounds like you're having a lovely time (even with revisions) with your family! Glad to hear there's been no broken bones or teeth as yet :)

I absolutely ADORE your heroes (well the ones, I'm rapidly working through) and can't wait to see what you (and I suppose your editor) have done/do with the next one!

Go the arvo naps... I was thinking of taking a nap myself after I'd written 500 words, but dang... the baby has just awoke!

14 July, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Rach,
Ah, yes, the naps are a brilliant addition to Mom Camp. Can't think why we didn't pick up on that before now. Perhaps because we had a teenager who slept until noon?

So glad you have enjoyed my heroes. Demetrios has been a lot of fun and he LOVES my editor who thinks he should make love with the heroine in chapter three instead of having to wait until chapter eight.

She's right, too, so he's feeling most pleased.

Get a nap when you can. It's not easy with babies. I remember it well.

15 July, 2009  
Blogger Lacey Devlin said...

Poor Demetrios is having an attitude overhaul lol! I love your heros surly or otherwise Anne! Mom Camp is a fantastic idea! I can't believe there isn't something like that in my community!

15 July, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Lacey,
Demetrios is delighted with his attitude adjustment. He's happy as a clam. My editor really made points with him!

If there's no Mom Camp, you need to start one. Or start whatever kind of 'camp' you want that gives you a break from your normal routine and allows you to have a great time and laugh a lot with people you love or genuinely like a WHOLE LOT. I told my daughter I never laugh as much all year as the week we laugh together here.
Such fun!

15 July, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home