Friday, March 31, 2006

Life Is Good

Well, of course it's good. Theo went to England on Monday, got read on Wednesday, approved on Wednesday night, line-edited on Thursday and today he's on his way to Canada for copyediting. What a guy!

What an editor! Nice turn around. Now if only they're as swift on the check. Ha. No, actually, once -- ONCE -- that did happen. I sent in a book and the next thing I knew -- like 8 days later my agent called and asked what I wanted them to do with the check. I said, "What check? For what?" It was early December. Had already got my royalty check. No money expected.

And she said, "The check for, um, let's see, something called THE MARRIAGE TRAP." And I said, "You're joking," because I figured she had to be. But, no, she wasn't. My editor (not the same editor and not the fastest of the senior editors in those days) was on maternity leave and The Boss had received the book. Apparently when The Boss got the book in those days, if she read it and liked it, she sent money. Pretty slick.

It never happened again. But we cashed the check and it didn't bounce, so they have quite a standard to live up to as far as I'm concerned. They haven't lived up to it since, but I live in hope. And less than a week's turnaround on Theo's manuscript is pretty terrific. So, thanks, Ed! (no, her name's not Ed).

In the anticipation that I will have enough money now to pay my taxes, I'm going to actually sit down and do them this weekend. What fun.

But first I'm going to watch the middle DVD of the first season of Veronica Mars, which makes me glad I went to high school in southern California in the darke ages and not now -- and then I'm going to walk my dogs and then I'm going to bake grasmere gingerbread and then I'm going to figure out what I want to write about next. Kate Walker is talking about growing books on her blog at the moment (well, at the moment she's off holding the wonderful Julie Cohen's hand while Julie signs books with her other hand, Yea, Julie!) But anyway, Kate is right. Growing a book is an interesting process. One of those "don't look down" events that are better left uncontemplated around here. All I know is: it's never the same twice.

But I'm not going to think about that now. I'm going to go work on my DVD of Veronica Mars. And if I finish it, I'm going to have another go-round with Damian Lewis's version of Much Ado About Nothing.

Yep, life is good.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anne ~

I just visited your webpage and read about your blog, so I decided to check it out! I ordred Elias's book today! Can't wait to read it. So, whose Spence? And I'm still wanting to read Flynn, any news on this guy?

01 April, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Kate!

Thanks for stopping by. And a very big THANKS for ordering Elias's book. I hope you enjoy it. I had a lot of fun writing about him and Tallie.

Spence turned up out of the blue one day when I was desperately trying to finish Theo's book. He kept prodding me to write his story, and I had no idea who he was -- or what his story was!

Then, about three days later, Theo's heroine ran into him on an airplane.

I was as amazed as she was. And he turned out to be a catalyst for a turning point in Theo's plot (Yes, Theo actually has a plot). And Spence was happy to cooperate as long as I wrote his book next.

That's what I'm starting to do. It's turning out to be a very interesting experience! I'll keep people posted on the blog -- and on my website. But probably on the blog more often.

Cheers,
Anne

01 April, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Oh, and Flynn is still AWOL. Don't know when he'll be turning up. I'll try to keep you -- and everyone else -- posted. In the meantime, his child is growing up!

Anne

01 April, 2006  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Congratulations to you and Theo. I look forward to reading his story soon. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to Elias - when I get this darn Sicilian off my desk

Kate

03 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home