Monday, June 26, 2006

Men in shorts, redux

I missed a week and a half of the men in shorts playing in the World Cup because I was in Alabama learning how to refine my ability to search for dead relatives. You have to realize -- from that -- how truly devoted to genealogy I am, because it's FAR MORE INTERESTING to watch men in shorts.

But a girl has to have her priorities. Though I have to admit that if I'd realized I was going to be going to Alabama in the midst of the World Cup I might have reconsidered. After all, I missed the previous three years due to sons getting married or other sundry friends getting married. I could have missed this year for the men in shorts.

Alas, I didn't.

I watched today, though, and I saw Australia lose a heartbreaker in the 95th minute on what looked, frankly, like a penalty kick that shouldn't have been awarded. But then, that's one of the things that happens in soccer. Guys fall down and act like they've been shot -- and then once the foul has been proclaimed, they are usually resurrected injury-free (not always, but you'd be amazed how much writhing is forgotten once the ref has made his call). So, I feel bad for Australia. And I feel happy for Totti who made a great kick. And bad for poor Schwarzer -- who really had no chance.

And this afternoon I get to watch Switzerland and the Ukraine (who'd a thunk it?) while Spence and Sadie come to terms with a new plot development. Hopefully they will do this upstairs out of the way of the men in shorts.

I wrote two books about soccer players -- a goalkeeper, Lachlan McGillivray, who was the hero of McGillivray's Mistress, and a striker, Joaquin Santiago, who taught Molly everything she needed to know in Lessons From A Latin Lover. If I'd been smart, I'd have written them so they came out in a World Cup year. But no, I missed it on both counts. Duh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

I have to admit i never got into watch the men in shorts thing.
Hopefully Spence and Sadie don't give you too much trouble with the new plot developement.
I subscribed to The Men Made in America collection and I got a shipment in with To Tame a Wolf (Michigan).

26 June, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Christa,

If you're not into watching men in shorts, you're not into it. That's that. I know my good friend Kate Walker finds LOTS of time to work on her books during soccer matches because they bore her to tears. So, you're in good company.

I'm delighted to hear that the Men: Made In America books are available again. I hope you enjoy To Tame A Wolf. Originally when I wrote it, I had quite a bit of male point of view in it. But that was when Presents were not using male point of view regularly, so they asked me to take it out. Now that they are, I keep wishing they'd ask me to put it back in again! Sadly, they won't.

Spence and Sadie are busy working. So I'm trying not to rock the boat.

26 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home