Friday, June 16, 2006

weirder

How weird is this?
I can go to my Word Perfect program and the ‘enter’ key works just fine. Why? What is not connecting in my email and online program that will connect just fine elsewhere? Seriously, I would like to know, so if anyone out there reading this has the answer, please tell me. I’m baffled.
But since I can now type in paragraphs and cut and paste (well, actually I can, but then it takes away my skipped lines when I get in here. Curiouser and curiouser) , I will tell you that I fully intend to make reservations to come to IGHR next year, too. And maybe the year after that and the year after that. They offer so many tempting courses, and they all sound like they would wake me up and challenge me and take my writing in new directions because I would learn so many new things.
Plus, it was delightful to meet so many interesting people. Not that there aren’t interesting people elsewhere. But genealogy is either a love it or be bored to tears by it sort of interest. My mother’s eyes glaze over the minute the words "did your grandmother . . ." come out of my mouth. "They’re dead," she says. "Who cares?"
Well, I do. But I am in something of a minority in my family, though my kids seem somewhat interested, though very busy with their own lives, and The Prof has a life.
Still, I met a couple of hundred people (or more) who feel pretty much the same way I do. And it was refreshing to talk to them – and listen to them – and it was a joy to meet my cousin –- and we have begun working on our mysterious missing ancestors. With all this new knowledge we might actually find some. Here’s hoping.
And if anyone is interested in seriously studying how to get the most out of your hours spent pursuing dead relatives, give the IGHR at Samford some thought. It is a really great program run by very talented, helpful people. And I would love to meet you all here next year. (See I can say, "you all" now. My dad would be proud!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Styles said...

The prolbem with relatives whose eyes glaze over is that valuable stories are lost.
I can remember my grandmother who in her youth failed to pay attention to her mother's and grandmother's stories giving a talk about this very subject at the opening of museum. Her relations had arrived in Chiago when it was still Ft Deerborn.
Good for you on doing the research. Future generations will thank you.

17 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home