Monday, July 03, 2006

Fireworks

With impeccable timing, Spence has got out of his funk and is creating exactly the sort of fireworks I need to get through this chapter and -- finally -- into the next one.

And he didn't even have to put on a pair of shorts to do it. Of course, he doesn't know precisely what he's got himself into yet. But I'm sure the wake-up call will be coming soon. Not that I think Sadie knows what she's in for either. But at least she's (more or less) prepared.

That said -- and done -- I'm off to watch fireworks here tonight. For some reason known only to the local government, fireworks are routinely habitually and perennially set off on the night BEFORE the 4th of July. Why? Haven't a clue. Not sure when they started doing it, but they've been doing it for a good long time.

And we will be going to visit friends who live in a blufftop home overlooking the Mississippi River where the views are spectacular and we can enjoy the sights (except for those which happen to explode behind the neighbor's unfortunately placed tree which, as trees do, grows taller by the year).

Want to come, too? You can. You can actually stay at their house (but you have to pay) because it's a bed-and-breakfast. One of the very nicest (and I'm not just saying that) bed-and-breakfasts I've ever seen.

It's called The Hancock House and you can tour it virtually if you click on the link. You won't see the fireworks, of course. But you could book a room for next year. Check it out.

I actually set a book in this house once. Fletcher's Baby took place in Dubuque -- and I just sort of "stole" the house, renamed it, and gave it to my hero Sam, along with a few assorted animals and an innkeeper called Josie Nolan.


That allowed me to go "inn-sit" for the owners as a means of "research." It also permitted me to spend a couple of nights there "researching" too. Josie's room was the one called "Anna's." And when he was there the first time Sam stayed in the room with the turret. In real life it's called "The Doll's Room," but don't tell Sam!

4 Comments:

Blogger anne frasier said...

ah, can't want to visit the hancock house again.


oh, and at first i didn't think that said funk. my eyes are bad.

03 July, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Start making your plans, Anne! I can hardly wait for a nice "retreat" there again this year.

Yes, it says 'funk.' But I could have said a few choice other words about Spence's inability to get through that chapter -- until today. Maybe it's all downhill from here? she said hopefully.

03 July, 2006  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Oh the Hancock House! A wonderful place - I loved it. Please say Hi to your friends from us - and the d-o-g

One day I am going to be at that Writers' Retreat - one day!

Perhaps the answer for Spence is not to get into a pair of shorts but to get out of them - airing or funking? If it's as hot there as ift is here, I'm sure he'd love to air.

04 July, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Airing, yes, Kate.

Funking? Whatever will the people with bad eyesight think? Just because you and I have had cataract surgery now, that's no reason to assume that everyone can see as well as we do.

Funking, indeed!

04 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home