Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Five Flags

Well, over night five flags turned up. I'm impressed. I'm particularly impressed with the Japanese flag because it was so unexpected. It took me ages to get my first dot in Japan.

There is a little "flag test" on the neocounter site, where you get 3 chances to pick the country represented by flags as they turn up one after another. There are 20 per quiz. On the better times I can manage 14 or so. On the worst I'm hitting about 9. It's not only amazing how many flags I don't recognize. It's worse how many countries I didn't know existed! I'm still trying to figure some of them out. I will try not to display my ignorance here, but I think I will put the flag game on my sidebar tomorrow and see if anyone else can get 20 out of 20. I sure can't.

I'm still having coffee with Flynn and Sara. Their backstory is visiting my editor. I hope she understands it -- and them -- because it will be a lot easier to write if I don't feel constrained to make them fit into some sort of notion of what makes a hero a hero. In fact I probably won't write it at all if we can't agree on what works. I proved to myself long ago that I can't write to someone else's expectations very well. Now is not the time to start.

I'm doing research, though, and loving it. It's a whole new area to look at -- and I have Abby Green, one of our new Presents authors to thank for that!

She sent me a bunch of good articles which are right up Flynn's alley. And -- for me -- she sent an article about Hugh! Obviously a woman who knows a good hero when she sees him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home