Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Girl in Chapter Nine


The girl in chapter nine showed up today. She's a bit player, she reminded me. And as such, she didn't think she should show up before I needed her (though I didn't exactly need her today -- except to think ahead a bit).

She said she felt it was presumptuous to turn up and demand attention before it was her turn. Bad manners, she said.

I think I'll have to find a book for this woman. She could so shape my heroes up.

Anyway, while she was here, I ran the names past her, and she said, "No question. I'm Abigail. How could you not know that?"

I guess that tells us. So thank you, Kate, for suggesting the Abby -- which Abby G then modified to Abigail -- so as to make it not appear quite so 'chummy.' And Abigail agreed. She does not let people call her Abby.

I can see a hero in her future who might well do that -- just to annoy.

I asked her how she felt about the name Eamon. She said it was impolite to make disparaging comments about anyone's name. But she did say, when pressed, that she does not know any fifty year old bachelors who wear cardigans and live with their mother.

Abby G would doubtless say that that means she doesn't know any Eamons.

But I still like the name. So there.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yaaaaay an Abigail! Now please, just don't put her with an Eamon, please, please, please, please, please.....
x the other Abigail Green

04 May, 2007  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Now you see I don't see 'Abby' as chummy - I see it as warm, affectionate, gentle - so I hope that one day the fictional Abigail will find a lovely man who will call her Abby and make her love the name - and it won't matter a damn what his name is!

Kate - who uses Abby in that way with Ms A Green - when she's not calling her something else

04 May, 2007  
Blogger Christa said...

Very good name choice.
I don't see an Eamon as a fifty year old bachelor, cardigan wearing and still living with his mother. But I don't see him as a Prince Charming either.

I think Abigail has been talking to Domenico about name shortening.

04 May, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Christa, you're right! I forgot about Kate's prickly Dom. Too bad he's already hooked up with the lady of his life or I could send Abby -- I mean, Abigail -- his way.

I'm glad you're pleased with your namesake, Abby. But I make no promises about her Prince Charming. Well, I do. He won't be Milo. Sorry.

Kate, I like Abby as a name, too. It is warm and gentle. Maybe she just needs and Eamon (oops, I mean, a hero) to bring that out in her!

04 May, 2007  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Hmmm - with our Abby I'd suggest either a Jason (aka Mr Aero) or a Steve (aka the Babe Magnet!)

If you don't get the Mr Aero reference then Abby would tell you to look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brz8jjXuKyg

Definitely NOT Eamon - not a cardigan in sight! ;-)

Kate

PS Dom was only prickly about his name because it was the only thing he had that was his from his childhood and Mother

04 May, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Kate said: Dom was only prickly about his name because it was the only thing he had that was his from his childhood and Mother

Maybe we should buy him a cardigan.

As for Abby, I have a Jason she can have. But she might not want him!

04 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home