Thursday, May 31, 2007

Re-vision


Last year I had cataract surgery. It was something like a miracle. Colors were suddenly bright and vivid. The sky was really really blue. The letters on signs were sharp.

I could, literally, see the world anew.

Revisions are something like cataract surgery. They take what you've got and make it better. They clean things up, sharpen them, tone them, focus them.

They are, as I said on the Love Is An Exploding Cigar blog, a second chance at getting things right in our fictional worlds. We almost never get chances like that in the real one.

I'm doing that right now with Flynn and Sara. I'm cutting and cutting and cutting. And every now and then I add something that seems to belong, that makes things clearer (I hope) and better.

By the time I've been through the book once and have a good draft, I have a feel for pacing, for mood, for the arc of the story. It's sort of there in the synopsis stage. But there's no sense of timing. Beyond the first chapter, I have no idea how long anything is likely to take.

Now I do. And that's what I'm working on. Things are getting clearer and sharper.

The story is getting clearer. The book is getting better.

Keep your fingers crossed. I'm going to keep mine typing!

3 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

I was going to come visit you over at the Exploding Cigar blog but I kind of got distracted by these guys repaving the parking lot next of the next building. They kept turning around and taking off their shirts and showing off their glistening chests. If I had a camera I would have sent you some inspiration.

Fingers crossed for you.

02 June, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Christa,

You can still check out the Exploding Cigar if you want. The blog is up -- along with lots of interesting comments.

On the other hand, if your entertainment in the parking lot of the next building is still there, I can see why you might find it more interesting!

And I can always use the inspiration, thank you very much!

Thanks for the crossed fingers, too. Much appreciated. Book is coming together pretty well right now, but there's much more to be tightened, cut, slashed and reconstructed in the not-quite-week I've got left. Amazing how it all comes together like that -- I hope.

02 June, 2007  
Blogger Christa said...

They're not there today. It looks like they have the w/e off. Hopefully they come back. This complex has 7 buildings with 4 parking lots. They should come on the 11th because that is when the pool opens.

02 June, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home