Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Newest Correspondent

I know there are people who think that my getting letters from a cat -- even such an erudite cat as Sir Sidney St John Willoughby Portly-Lummox, ACOSB, DLitt Oxon, Earl of Blubberhouses, etc etc etc -- is a little strange.

But, of course, if you know Sid, you understand. He can't not write letters. He is consumed by a need to communicate. And, let's face it, how many people take the time to reply to letters from A Cat? Even That Cat.

They don't know what they are missing. He writes better than many people I know. And he apparently leads by example if today's mail is anything to go by.

Someone has noticed.

And now I have received a postcard from a sheep.

Not just any sheep either. This is a sheep called Eamon. An Irish (naturally) sheep called Eamon. A lonely Irish sheep called Eamon. A sheep who can apparently pose for postcards, buy them, write missives, put on stamps and mail them.

He didn't say much. He's clearly a Strong Silent Sheep. But he did mention being lonely. I'm sure he's looking for a nice young Irish lass.

I know just the gal.

She writes for Harlequin Mills & Boon. And Abby Green has a soft spot for Irish fauna (if you can deal with Irish actors, how could you not deal with Irish fauna?).

Abby is always on the lookout for a handsome hero, especially a literate one -- which of course Eamon the sheep is because, well, he did send me a postcard, didn't he?

Not only that, he comes with his own built in cardigan. No need to knit him one.

I'm sure he's exactly what you're looking for, Abby. And I have no doubt the feeling is mutual.

My Eamon has a slightly different look --and no cardigan.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baa.

28 July, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

Ahhhh! Eamon is a real sweetheart. Mads:)

28 July, 2007  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

Dear Madam - dear Ladt Across the Pond

I have no doubt that Eamon is a very handsome sheep - as sheep go. And perhaps he is a little erudite but I am sure that he is not quite as fascinating a correspondent as A Cat of Superior Breeding.

But having met Ms Abby Green in purrson, I know that she is not the type of young lady to be attracted by wool - even Irish wool. As I recall, she was entranced by my fur in all it's glorious tones and stripes and I fear that Eamon's appearence is a trifle - shall see say Bland? He may be a fine specimen of the sheep breeed but he is no match for a Cat of Superior Breeding

With best wishes from Lincolnshire where there are too many very wet sheep

Sir Sidney St John Willloughby Eamon Portly-Lummox Bart. or should that be Baaaart?)

29 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baaaaaa! Well you know what? After this stunning evidence that perhaps there is an Eamon with something between his furry ears, I may be converted, how clever was he to send you off a romantic card?! What a handsome sheep he is, and like you say, with an inbuilt heater system, he could be keeping me warm all winter (and I tell you that's what this summer feels like!).
I'm very jealous of your secret admirer Anne...
x Abby

29 July, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

So glad that you're coming round, Abby. I suspected you might. I'm sure Sid will be aghast if you settle for a woolly bland gentleman over his fur. But then, was it you or Trish who was allergic to c.a.t.s.? Maybe woolly and bland is all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm delighted to know that our matchmaking is extending beyond the covers of books to, er, sheep.

29 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I'm afraid any kind of permanent relationship with Sir Sid (apart from the fact that I have a suspicion that he is a commitment phobe and would just toy with my affections) would involve me becoming a drug addict as I would have to take anti-histemines permanently. Now as for Eamon, I can't say for sure yet that his own woolly cardigan wouldn't have the same effect...hmmm I think this beautiful relationship waiting to happen might just take a little longer...and let's not forget he sent the love missive to you...not me. My punishment for being so scathing of the name Eamon...
A mildly dejected Abby...

29 July, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Ah, so you're suggesting that there is a sheep out there pining with unrequited love because I have The Prof and Eamon is out in the cold?

Could be. But in that case, isn't it kind of me to pass His Wooliness on to you? I feel sure that your being on the right side of the pond, not to mention Available would make you the better bet. However, I am enjoying basking in his admiration. I have told him that you would prefer a Hugo and he said he didn't think so. He knows Hugo and he definitely believes you would NOT prefer Hugo.

29 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugo...agh! Just as bad. I think Eamon wants you to bask a little longer in his admiration, plenty of time for him to trot back over to this side of the pond..(as Abby runs screaming for the hills...)

29 July, 2007  
Blogger Kate Hardy said...

Anne and Abby - you are the most hysterical double act :o)

Thanks for the smile!

30 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baaa.

30 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sid the Cat said:
Bah!

31 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abby is still running...

31 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abbbeeeeee!

Wait for meeeee!

31 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home