Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Post Office and I -- or why I have learned to love UPS

I went to the post office today to mail two boxes. I came home with one of them.

Because the USPS now has employees whose tool of choice appears to be the tape measure. As if the lines aren't long enough and the postage already high enough, now they measure all the boxes. And if the boxes are "too big" they charge more for them.

Since when?

Since apparently they decided that machines rule everything, and that "machines are never wrong, ma'am." And if your box does not go through a machine (as defined by the USPS) then you get to pay them more. They did this before with those little square envelopes we had to pay more for because they couldn't go through machines.

I am assured by a friend who WORKS FOR THE POST OFFICE that the machines can now handle the little square envelopes. Have they rescinded the surcharge for square envelopes?

Hahahahaha.

Anyway, I have a box here that was going to my granddaughter for her birthday. It was nicely packed. The box (said right on it) is 22"x18"x12". This is too much for the post office.

I feel sure it won't be too much for UPS.

1 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

OMG Anne! You must live in the same small town as me. I had the same problem when I tried to mail a small package to my son who was in college. I wound up sending it UPS at a much cheaper rate.

I have the same problem when I try to mail my homemade greeting cards to my friends. They are just slightly bigger than the standard greeting card. They weigh the same as a standard card because I weighed both of them before taking my card to the post office. The clerk at the post office charged me 4 cents more to mail my card because the envelope was slightly bigger than a normal greeting card envelope.

You are not alone. Send the package UPS. It's cheaper and will probably get there a lot faster and safer than the USPS. Good Luck.

Have a great weekend and Sadie says "Thanks for the name". I'll send you a picture of her as soon as I can. She is a real beauty. Mads:)

11 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home