Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!


It's always fun to have someone you know born on the 4th of July. You don't really need a reason to party other than the historical one -- but having a grandfather born on the 4th of July made things even more special. (The photo is him at about age twelve).

Every year when I was growing up he and my grandmother hosted a family get-together, complete with all the best family picnic foods, a cake that my aunt always baked, and fireworks that my cousin set off to everyone's oohs and aaahs except his mother's.

She was too busy yelling, "Steeeeven! Be careful, Steeeeven! You'll blow yourself up, Steeeeven!" and variations on that theme.

I don't know what Steven thinks now when he watches The Christmas Story and hears everyone tell Ralphie that if he gets a BB gun he'll shoot his eye out, but I know what I think of -- the 4th of July and Steeeven and the fireworks. For the record, he never did anything dire to himself or anyone else. We emerged unscathed year after year. It was great fun.

This year I didn't do any of that. I considered going and watching the local town fireworks which are shot off over the river on July 3rd. Why? God and the Chamber of Commerce only know. Possibly only the C of C. It doesn't make sense, but there you are.

Also the local country club shoots off a bunch on the 4th (maybe that's why the city does it on the 3rd?) and they are visible from a friend's house (Nancy the cat slayer. Remember her?) But I didn't go either place because The Prof was deep in writing something and my mother declined and Sebastian was cooperating.

I have learned not to ignore character cooperation. If I get any, I consider it a plus. And if Sebastian wanted to spend the day with me, who am I to argue. We had a nice time. Well, I did. He got wet. And now he's annoyed. This scene isn't in the beginning of the book, but it occurred to me and I thought I ought to grab it while it was begging to be grabbed. So far, so good.

Hope everyone celebrating had a great 4th!

Even though I didn't get to watch fireworks, I could still hear the echo of my aunt's warning in the back of my mind -- and I hope Steeeeven was careful if he was shooting off fireworks this year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Fielding said...

Hope you had a fabulous 4th, Anne. I was thinking of all my friends in the US and envying them the fireworks. I love fireworks and would have been tempted to fire off a few myself, except that it was raining. I'm not complaining though -- this is definitely not wild fire country and we're nearly at the top of the valley here, so we aren't getting flooded, either.

05 July, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great picture of your grandfather, Anne!

We watched fireworks on the 4th and my husband (who is also Steven, or in my case...Steeeeeve, lol) had a display of his own in our back yard for our son.

We hid behind the patio table and watched at a safe distance while Steeeeve lit the fireworks. :) It was fun, beautiful, and nobody got hurt.

Lee

06 July, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Liz, I'm glad to hear you aren't in danger of burning down or washing away. It sounds like a lot of Britain has suffered from floods. Wish you had been here. I'd have gone to see the fireworks if you'd come to visit!

Lee, what is it about Steeeeeves and fireworks? Must be something in the name. I'm glad yours had a great display for your son. I'm sure it will be long remembered!

cheers,
Anne

06 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home