Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ah, research

I've gone back to reading Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit in the hope that it will spark some creativity in the research stage of the next book. I'm looking for my "box" to write outside of, as soon as I collect the bits and pieces that will be going in it.

I haven't put a book in San Francisco for quite a few years. I think maybe "Simple Charms" my story in the 1993 Valentine anthology was the last.

Before that I did Marry Sunshine which was set there. It was where we went on our honeymoon eons ago, so I have fond memories of the city. And now I think it may be the site of book # 60.

Sixty? Hard to believe.

Time flies when you're having fun, I guess. Or books do. Well, no, they don't, actually, as anyone who has been reading this blog and listening to me whine about how long it takes to get things right already knows.

What's hard is to be sure to tackle something new and fresh. After sixty books, that's a bit more of a chore than it used to be. Of course the people are always new. But the various ploys are not (marriage of convenience, anyone?). So looking for a new angle is always interesting. And going back to San Francisco should be fun.

I'm still looking. I am getting a better handle on the people. But I don't see much conflict yet. Still having to learn who they are in order to find that. Getting there -- I hope.

I see that ClustrMaps has given me a new map as of sometime earlier this month. It looks weird to see the process starting all over. I got rather used to my other map. Now I need dots all over again. So if you know anyone in the places that aren't dotted (there are lots of empty spots) send them along. The more the merrier.

I noticed from the Neoworx counter that Uruguay, Poland and Sri Lanka have recently joined the list of countries. That's exciting.

But have you seen Kate Walker's list? Good grief, I didn't know there were that many countries!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

60 -- wowzers!!

i think part of your success is that you are always just as enthused about your current project as you were about your very first.

01 July, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not even sure that was a sentence, but you know what i mean! that's what i get for not logging in. i can't delete and repost. :D

01 July, 2007  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

60 is fantastic.

I dare say that SF has changed since you last wrote about it...

If you are doing SF, then you need a box that shows cable cars and has sourdough french bread and cracked crab as well as Ghiradelli Square hot fudge sundaes. There are reason I am seriously considering going to the RWA conference next year.

01 July, 2007  
Blogger Kate Hardy said...

60? Oh, wow.

And may I mention the Ghiradelli earthquake rubble chocolate? According to my best mate (who honeymooned there) they make a replica of SF in chocolate and then turn it into rubble. (Don't know how but would like to help, next time they do it. Lifesize would be good.) She bought me the white choc one and it was gorgeous...

02 July, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Anne, it made perfect sense. And getting excited about the new book is why it's taken me this long to come up with an idea. Everything else seems like I've done it. This doesn't. (I hope).

Michelle, you're right about the contents of the box. Last time I flew through SF -- a year ago -- I made a detour to buy Parisian sourdough. It almost made going from Seattle through SF to get to Chicago and then home worth the trip. It would have if I hadn't had to run through the entire airport to get to my next gate as well as go through security again. And heavens, yes, the crab is definitely getting into the box! A bit of Irish coffee as well, and some great bookstores, and a fantastic sundae I once had at the Mark Hopkins Hotel. You're making me want to go back.

Kate, I hadn't heard about this chocolate rubble, but it sounds scrumptious. So much for diets!

02 July, 2007  
Blogger Kate Hardy said...

Diet is a four-letter word. Die with no T.

And life is too short to give up chocolate...

03 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home