Monday, July 09, 2007

Mom Camp

Well, the writers' camp idea has generated some interest.

But believe me when I tell you that "mom camp" is definitely a good thing.

The kids went off on Sunday and are happy as clams. Happier if possible. They are already making plans for next year. (That started on Sunday night). But for the mom of one of the campers and for her mom (that would be me) and for my cousin's daughter (she's 14 but we've drafted her as part of our contingent, giving her an early start), I think it's even better.

We've had so much fun.

We've talked and we've cooked and we've baked and we've walked dogs and we've gone for tea and tomorrow we're going over to visit Galena. We've made "adult food" for dinner which no one has turned their nose up at. And we've read books and gone shopping and laughed and laughed and laughed. Wonderfully refreshing. We want to do it again next year, too! In fact, if the campers are planning, so are we!

I had expected I would get some work done on Seb and be able to write in my blog -- and the truth is, I haven't had a moment. I'm barely even getting my email read. And right now I need to go to sleep because camp starts early tomorrow and I want to enjoy every minute!

I think we're going to write a book. If we can find the time. We'll see.

What's everyone else doing for fun?

I guess the RWA is starting this week, and the RNA finished on the Sunday just past. I will have to drop by some blogs and read what's going on. If I had time I would have a blog party like Lucy Monroe did last year for those of us who weren't at RWA. I think Lucy has more than enough to do this year. And believe me, I do. But if anyone would like to drop by and blog, would love to hear from you!

5 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

Mom camp, sound like a winner to me.
I've been reorganizing my day in order not to spend as much time on the computer and spending more time sitting out on the balcony reading. Yesterday from about 4:30pm I ignored the computer because I was reading The Marriage Bed by Judith Arnold and I couldn't put it down. (I now have 30 pages left). The other day I scubbed the house clean over two days(luckily it's not a big apartment) Today I'll probably make my trek to Wal-mart and the grocery store and maybe lunch at Taco Bell

10 July, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi,

Thanks for touching base, Christa. Good to hear from you. Judith Arnold has written some goooood books! Glad you're enjoying The Marriage Bed. I don't think I've read that one.

Have fun on your trek to Wal-mart and the grocery store. Lunch at Taco Bell sounds good, too. Have they ever gone back to making corn tortilla nachos? When they went to flour tortillas for their nachos, they lost me. And I really liked going there now and then.

10 July, 2007  
Blogger Christa said...

I'm finding a lot of things appealing in this book. The H and h are in their late 50's and have been married for 37 years. Her old boyfriend tracks her down because his son needs a bone marrow transplant and through a private detective he found out that she did end up having his baby. The H marries her knowing she is pregnant with another man's child. During their 37 year marriage they went on to have a wonderful life and 2 more sons. Sure there were some financial struggles along the way but it was a wonderful marriage. Now she wonders if he only married her so she could keep the baby. While he wonders if he only married him because of the baby and stayed with him because he was injured in Vietnam. Now the question is if the marriage can survive now that the basis of the marriage is gone. This is a heart wreching tale on how a 37 old secret affects a family. Not just the daughter that finds out that the H is not her biological father but also the two sons.

I don't know about the corn tortillas, I usually get the Quesadia(sp?)

10 July, 2007  
Blogger Christa said...

BTW- the old boyfriend knew she was pregnant and sent her money and the name of a doctor for her to get an abortion.

10 July, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi,
The old boyfriend sounds like a jerk. But maybe that's just me.

Judith does excellent relationship novels. Lots of nuanced characters and development. Glad you've found it such a rewarding reading experience.

10 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home