Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The TBR Pile

One really nice thing about being "between books" (sort of) is that the To-Be-Read pile both shrinks and grows.

While it might be nice to see it getting smaller, there are always good books coming along that make it taller. And at least I get to actively do something about it. I contribute books to it -- and I even read a few and am enriched by enjoying other writers' creativity.

As Betina Krahn won the RITA this year in the Short Historical category for The Book of True Desires -- and since Betina has never written a book I didn't enjoy -- I decided to start with that one. It was delightful. It was a Victorian romp -- a combination of a sort of Amelia Peabody tackles Mexico story accompanied by a butler who might moonlight as Indiana Jones (except he was something of a botanist-chemist as well).

Give characters like that to Betina and prepare to be enchanted. I was prepared. And I was enchanted. Loved every bit of it.

And that led me to digging back into two of Betina's older books that have been on my TBR pile for a while -- The Husband Test and The Wife Test.

Having gone to school with my share of nuns, I was already smiling before Sister Eloise of The Husband Test got on the page. But when she and Peril tangled, I didn't want it to stop. Wonderful story, Betina. Sorry I let it languish on the TBR pile for so long! Now I have The Wife Test to spend the next few days with. Really looking forward to it.

Also recently finished Julia Quinn's new book, The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever, which I enjoyed very much. Missed all those Bridgertons, though.

And I have Barbara Hannay's RITA book, Claiming His Family, to read, followed by all three of Kate Hardy's "Posh Docs" mini-series. They arrived -- straight from Kate -- in the post today, and it was all I could do to resist (well, I peeked at Charlie and I'm hooked. I'm just refusing to let myself read anymore until I finish Betina's books and Barbara's.

What books have you read recently that you would recommend? I'd love some recommendations. Might not get to them right away, but I'm sure to get there eventually.

When I'm not reading -- or cleaning my house, which needs it after The Invasion -- I'm working on Seb's synopsis. Have been listening to some of the music.

Found some good resource people. Making up questions I need the answers to.

Filling my box.

3 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

Hi Anne,
I just finished Samantha Hunters newest book Pick Me Up. It's about a woman who packs up her car and leaves her old life behind. No particular destination in mind. She picks up a stranger who just happens to be a local cowboy and tries things that she never did before, like working with horses in a barn. She's a city girl from a well to do family. I really enjoyed the story.

I also recently finished Sarah Mayberrys Daytime Diva series. 3 books about 3 strong women who work behind the scenes of a daytime drama series. Sarah did a good job of connecting the 3 stories and I loved these books.

If you've ever read Nora Roberts then I highly recommend her In Death books. She writes as JD Robb and these books never fail to keep me reading.

I recently ordered some of your author friends books from Amazon and they should be here soon. I'll be sure to let you know what I think about their books. I trust your opinion and I'm sure I'll love them.

I'm still waiting for Sebs story and as soon as it's available, I'm going to get it. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for it.

Have a great weekend and enjoy getting caught up with your reading. Mads:)

26 July, 2007  
Blogger Christa said...

I recently finished another RITA winner, The Mommy Quest by Lori Handeland. A little boy figured going up to men and asking "will you be my daddy" worked in finding Dean then it should work finding a mommy. And he has a mommy all picked out, his school pricipal, Stella. Only problem is Stella and Dean share and romantic past that involves broken hearts.
This book was cute, funny, sad and filled with sarcasm.

27 July, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Mads,
Thanks for the suggestions. I remember having some email conversations with Sam while she was writing Pick Me Up! I will check out Sarah Mayberry, too. Not familiar with her.

I've never been a great fan of Nora's JD Robb books. I have loved some of her other ones, but the JD ones and I are not on the same wavelength. At least so far we're not. Reading is funny that way.

I hope some of the ones I've liked and mentioned also appeal to you. Let me know.

Christa, thanks for mentioning Lori's book. I will have to order it. I have known Lori for quite a few years and I was thrilled to hear she'd won the RITA for that book. She's such a good writer. I'll look for it.

27 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home