Friday, July 13, 2007

The Hecks are blogging!


You may (0r may not) remember the Hecks.

They are the hedgehog family living at the bottom of Kate Walker's garden. Among her 50 blogs in celebration of her 50th book is their contribution which is up today.

As they dictated to Sir Sidney and Sid dictated to me and I sent it to Kate, I feel a certain proprietary interest in their blog.

Should you wish to read it and about them, please jump to Kate's blog to read. Leave a comment and you could win a book of Kate's and one of mine (whichever she has in her office, which I have no idea about).

I am off to sports camp to watch the Olympics! You Brits and colonials (and more recent ex-colonials than we in the US) will be interested to know that the granddaughter and grandson are playing cricket in the Olympics. They were interested to know this inasmuch as they have never held a cricket bat before and have no idea what they are doing.

I think I'll take my camera!

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Fielding said...

I once saw a TV film called, I think England, Their England. It was a period piece, early 20th century and one of the characters was an American journalist in London who got roped in to play cricket for the newspaper's annual match.

He hit the ball, threw his bat to the ground and ran around the pitch. Tell your guys that is not the way to do it! You have to keep hold of the bat and run between the little posts at each end.

And tell them to forget all that stuff about it being slow and boring. It's the best fun ever when played on a beach with the entire family. At the highest level it's war... strategy, planning and sheer naked aggression.

Oh, and yes, it's the greatest game in the entire world!

14 July, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Liz,

I've passed on your words of wisdom to the younger generation. I don't know how they did actually. But I'm reasonably sure they didn't throw the bat, at least.

Oops. The mom of one says, "Well, they dropped the bat." Pause. "On the other hand, who wants six year olds running at each other carrying bats?"

She has a point.

14 July, 2007  
Blogger Liz Fielding said...

I get the point about six year olds with bats (although no one in my family ever did any real damage that I can recall), but the point is, if you get to the other end of the wicket without the bat, you're out so I hope they stopped and picked it up. :)

15 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home