Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hammock Time

I know I'm supposed to be feeling the pressure of the upcoming Christmas season. I will. I promise.

But right now I'm in that soft, swaying place where the book is gone and the new book is barely forming in my mind, and I can see at least a part of the carpet in my office (it's blue. I'd almost forgotten) and after a week of dealing with a very sick dog, he seems to be currently improving (so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a miracle as he is 12 and that's 80-something in dog years), I don't want to do anything except lie here and drift.

Which is one reason you've had a dearth of blog entries this week. What could I say? Nothing was happening. I wasn't even reading. I was just . . . drifting.

It felt great to drift. Everyone should get to now and then.

But I have a feeling the drift is about to come to an end. I bought the Thanksgiving turkey today. Which means I had to clean out the refrigerator to find a place for it, which means I did less drifting than I had been.

And the characters are beginning to nag again. It's Demetrios this time.

He was the actor brother of Tallie and Theo Savas. Now's he's an independent film producer/director. He's in Cannes, and he's not exactly patient. He wants me to get on with his story. Across a crowded room he's just spotted a woman he never thought he'd see again.

And he's annoyed that I won't get out of my hammock and get to work.

I need to think about this some more, though. At least that's what I'm telling him. In the meantime I think I can get at least a few days more of relaxation.

After Thanksgiving? Yeah, I think that's about right. Maybe Christo's book will be back for revisions then and I can put Demetrios off a while longer.

Maybe I'll start looking for collage pictures. I think I know what he looks like. But I need to get a better idea about his heroine, Anny. At least I have lots of pictures of Cannes.

Anny is blonde, by the way. Wholesome. Girl next door-ish. Which, when he finds out who she really is, turns his world upside down. She's also capable of absolutely stunning elegance when required. Think Cinderella at the ball, minus the mice and the fairy godmother.

You guys helped me find the perfect Natalie. That's her to the left. Want to take a shot at Anny?

Post links or tell me names and I'll check them out.

I can do that while I'm still lying in the hammock.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Avi J said...

I think Drew barrymore is a close match. Check out the show Ever After it really shows a transformation

21 November, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Avi. I'll have a look.

21 November, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your poor dog gets better soon, Anne. Doesn't it make you feel helpless when they're sick.

Chris.

22 November, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Chris,

It's horrible when they are sick, and he's been fighting a bacterial infection that seems really deep-seated. It wasn't easy to figure out what was going on, and we're still not entirely sure. We just keep trying to get him to eat and get antibiotics down him. But he's a pretty opinionated dog, and his opinion of pills in that they should be given to someone else.

Still, we are hoping that we can turn things around. He seems a bit better again today. But it's still a long road we're going down and his age (he's 12) is against him. But his determination is a positive.

22 November, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coco my chocolate lab got acute pancreatitis a few years back and the vet didn't think she'd make it. She wouldn't eat and wouldn't drink. I boiled chicken breasts and fed it to her one piece at a time. Some she'd take and other bits she'd just spit out. It was time consuming but well worth it. Since then she's been diagnosed as diabetic and constantly fights skin infections so I know what you mean about the antibiotics. Luckily there is nothing wrong with her appetite these days so I just put them in with her food.

Hope things improve soon.
Chris.

24 November, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Chris,
I wonder if Gunnar has something of the same sort. He's been eating all the best right now as I'm trying hard to get anything into him. But his blood tests all come back good, so we're hoping we can help him beat it. Coco is definitely material for inspiration. I'll tell him -- maybe he'll take heart. Thank you.

24 November, 2008  
Blogger Kate Hardy said...

Anne - sending you a big hug for Gunnar (and for you, too, because I know what it's like being worried and waiting for medical test results). Hope he's doing OK.

25 November, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home