Saturday, April 18, 2009

Speaking of rhubarb

If we weren't, we soon will be. It's that time of year again.

Last night as I was going to bed I thought, it's nearly time for our local farmers' market to start up again. And immediately following that I thought, Rhubarb!

It turns out that farmers' market opens officially next Saturday. But the very thought got me to write 'rhubarb' in soap on the bathroom mirror (how else did I ever remember things pre-Google calendar?) and get The Prof to check the freezer for last year's rhubarb just in case.

And guess what!

He found a small bag of it, all nice and chopped and just looking like it needed to be in a cake. So today I got ready for this year's rhubarb by closing out last year's and making a cake.

Naturally I couldn't find my recipe (again), so I called my daughter and asked her for it. She said, "It's on your blog, Mom. That's where I get it."

Right. So it is.

I googled it and it came right up. What a good place to store my recipes. Now I'll be able to find them.

2007 must have been a bumper year for rhubarb.

I see I've put up a couple of other recipes using rhubarb as well --including my dear friend Elda's fabulous rhubarb delight. Every year recently that I made it, I took a piece to Elda who had moved to a nursing home.

This year I can't because Elda passed away in January, just days after her 92 birthday. But I'll make it again this year -- and every year -- in her memory and enjoy it while I remember the warmth of her friendship and the stories that came with it.

So we have cake tonight and I have a chapter of Demetrios tucked away in good shape, and another one coming along, and several more in the pipeline. The weather is good -- April showers are making lovely flowers hereabouts.

It's beginning to look a lot like spring.

ps: those little blue flowers are back, too -- a bit later than usual this year.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Mmmm, love rhubarb. My Dad always grew it and so I've never thought of buying it, but even though a couple of friends have it in their garden, I don't. Maybe it's time I started. So easy to grow, I'm told.

My favorite is rhubarb and apple crumble. or sponge --it's a pudding, same as crumble except that cake is baked on top of the fruit.

Loved the pic about Beau-the-new-grandpuppy. He looks gorgeous. I'm sure his new Girl and he will have a wonderful time.

And I adore Burn Notice. Hope the new series shows in Australia soon.

19 April, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Will have to try the rhubarb and apple crumble, Anne!

19 April, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home