Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Thank you!

My first book to be published (the second book I wrote), Starstruck, came out in February 1985. That's 25 years ago. And I had no idea then what an amazing 25 years it would be.

I've met so many interesting people, written about lots of other interesting people, gone places and done things I never would have been able to do if I'd continued on my pre-publication life.

I have a lot of people to thank for where I am today. Going way way back, I want to thank my mother who, not a reader particularly and not a writer certainly, still supported my interest in telling stories. She even has -- in her safe deposit box, no less -- the first 'real' story I ever wrote.

And there was my mother-in-law, too. You know how mothers-in-law are supposed to never think you're good enough for their dear son . . . well, mine might have felt that way, but she never showed it. And she made a point of supporting my fledgling efforts at writing fiction to the extent of buying me an IBM Selectric (in those days before computers, IBM Selectrics were the holy grail of the typing writer) as I was working on my second book.

The first one I didn't really tell anyone about because I didn't know if I could actually finish it or not. But when I had, I said I had -- and as I started number two, she said, "I have something for you to make your work easier."

Boy, did it! And I wrote books number 2-6 on it before I invested in a computer that only did word processing (no graphics card even) to write number 7.

There were others, too. My husband, The Prof, who supported my quest for publication and breathed a sigh of relief when I actually had an advance to help pay for groceries and the pediatrician, was a great help. I feel sorry for any writer who has a spouse or significant other who feels the dream of writing is somehow in competition with their relationship. I never had that happen, but I know people who have. It isn't pretty.

My kids have been wonderful -- particularly memorable was the five year old who told my editor he was going to grow up to be a romantic hero. He has, too. More or less!

And my friends -- writers and non-writers alike -- listen patiently and discuss the motivations and personalities of people who don't exist. You know who you are, but greater more specific thanks will be coming in future blogs.

And thank you to all my editors, copyeditors, editorial directors, my agent and especially to my readers who have enriched my life with their letters and comments and, incidentally, helping me put my kids through college by buying my books. You are stars -- all of you.

The Great-Book-Giveaway will begin this month. Heather (thanks to Heather, too) will be putting up the specifics. Watch my contest page -- and this space -- when she tells me what I'm doing!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Judy Jarvie said...

Congratulations, Anne. What a lovely post! And what wonderful books you have produced in those years (contented sigh of a devoted fan). What a wonderful mother-in-law too. judy x

02 February, 2010  
Blogger Rachael Johns said...

What a heart-warming post!!! I'm so glad you had all these lovely supportive people around you, cos it means we get so many fabulous stories!

02 February, 2010  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

And the thing I need to say - is thank YOU right back. Thank you for the wonderful books, the fabulous friendship the fascinating talks, the journey across America heading for Denver . . . Ilove the way that writing brought you into my life - it's one of the bonuses of this job I never thought would be part of it.

Happy 25th agaion

Kate

03 February, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Lady Across the Pond

My Mum tells me that you are celebratingg and that I should come and send you my felicitations upon this great event. Of course I was not even born when you began publishing - how you can celebrate years when ACOSB was not in your life is rathe strange to me, but I do appreciate that you have books and being published to celebrate so that is what you are doing.

Books are good to sleep on and being published does help to pay for the important matter of food. And of course I am sure you are celebrating with food. I would definitely do that. In fact I am sure there will be a smackeral of salmon to help me celebrate. I will be glad to help you celebrate by eating it.

Many congratulations dear Lady Across the Pond on your 25 years - and here's to many more

You loving Cat of Superior Breeding

Sir Sidney St John Willoughby Eamonn Portly Lummox

03 February, 2010  
Blogger Caroline said...

Great blog Anne - and huge congratulations on your 25 years as a publsihed author.

And isn't it great to be blogged by a "Sir Sidney St John Willoghby Eamonn Portly Lummox" - wow (cat)royalty no less! Caroline x

03 February, 2010  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Judy, thanks so much for your good wishes. Yes, my mother-in-law was a great support. As an artist, she understood the value of feeding creativity.

Rach, Thank you. Keep on writing!

Kate, there aren't words enough to thank you for the joy of your friendship. It's been an unexpected delight to find a kindred spirit (especially one with a cat of superior breeding).

Sid, my dear cat of superior breeding, you have so enriched my life. I wish Goliath had known you. He would have so enjoyed your company. And the two of you could have been sarcastic together over salmon cakes.

Caroline, thank you. Yes, it's wonderful to have Sid as a correspondent. He brightens my day regularly. Who'd a thunk it?

03 February, 2010  
Blogger Kerrin said...

Congratulations on a such a long career! I hope you get to celebrate more success!

03 February, 2010  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Kerrin! Me, too!

03 February, 2010  
Blogger lidia said...

Anne, Congratulations!

Both you and Kate have a lot to celebrate.

I've told you before -- "Island Interlude" is probably the oldest book that I have of yours and it is still very special to me.

Have fun celebrating!

03 February, 2010  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Lidia,

Thank you so much! I'm very happy you've enjoyed Island Interlude so much. I have some books that I go back to again and again. I'm glad IL was that for you.

Annes

04 February, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home