Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Contest -- or Anybody Here Read German?

If there's one thing this house has a ton of (besides dogs), it's books. Everywhere you look -- books. Books I've loved. Books I use for research. Books I hope to read before I die. And some books I'll never be able to read because there isn't time in this life for me to learn Norwegian or Finnish or Korean or Polish or Croatian -- or even German.

So . . . here's the thing. I just got a couple of copies of Nathan's Child in German. It's in an omnibus edition with other stories by Sandra Field, Diana Hamilton and Melissa McClone. And I can't read a word. Well, a few words. But not enough to make trying to struggle through it worthwhile. So I'm offering them to whoever writes me either a note in the comments section here -- or sends me an email at anne.mcallister(at)gmail.com. Use the @ where the (at) is.

At the same time I'll send you a copy of one of my backlist titles (the prof is going to love this. He'll think of it as cleaning out the attic).

And for the rest of you -- those who, like me, don't read German but who would like a copy of one of the backlist books -- do likewise. Send me an email or respond in the comments section, and we'll pick a winner at the end of next week.

I know that Kate Walker's cat Sid does the choosing of her contest winners. But Sid, unfortunately, doesn't swim. So he won't be coming across the pond to pick winners of my contests. I guess Gunnar will have to do it, though Gunnar is very picky and will have definite opinions about the sort of treats I put on the various names. There will be considerable deliberation, I'm sure.

But he's never one to shirk his duty, so I'm sure it will get done. Check back to see if you're the winner, or if you've sent an email I'll contact you.

Spence wants to know why Gunnar gets treats and to pick winners and live happily ever after while he gets angst and misery and a heroine who would like to wring his neck. I told him that was the difference between dogs and heroes.

And yes, I do see a palm tree looming on the horizon. Not the English palm tree, though, I don't think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to have a copy of the book! I really need to practice my German.

06 April, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The language part of my degree ought to be good for something... can I have one?

Guess you know who this is. I actually did get to your blog. Funnny funny stuff.

Roll on taxes, and summer, except the bugs will eat us all alive.

10 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home