Saturday, April 01, 2006

Go figure

A couple of days ago, I posted the North American cover for my April Presents, THE ANTONIDES MARRIAGE DEAL. (See below on the ELIAS'S BOOK! blog entry)

Lovely couple. Big city (New York is where the book is set). Sophisticated. (Anne McAllister characters? Like I said, go figure).

As it happens, THE ANTONIDES MARRIAGE DEAL is also coming out in UK this month. And it has a different cover.

This is not incredibly amazing as in recent years that sort of thing has been happening. For example, on THE INCONVENIENT BRIDE, I had what I call my From Here To Eternity cover, aka Is that an alp I see in the Bahamas? on my Presents cover. And in the UK it had these teenagers lying in the grass.

For a while there, when my people were in Pelican Cay, I had a variety of interesting covers on my Presents -- there was the hammock cover and the bed with gauze cover and the people in the water with champagne flutes cover. All of these books in UK got some variation of a palm tree on the cover. There was the shadow of the palm tree, the front-and-center palm tree and the slightly demented palm tree.

Then on LESSONS FROM A LATIN LOVER, in Presents I got a very nice people walking on the beach in their evening clothes cover.



This cover came right from a specific scene in the book. I was really really pleased.

Of course in UK I got a palm frond covered cabana, but I didn't care. I just wondered, what is it with England and palm trees?

And now we have THE ANTONIDES MARRIAGE DEAL. And, as you saw, the Presents version has a sophisticated couple having a night out in a big city on the cover.

On the UK cover there are . . . people walking on the beach in their evening clothes.

Not only that, they are the same people walking on the beach in their evening clothes in the Presents version of LESSONS FROM A LATIN LOVER, aka the same cover.

So, I just need to tell you people in UK who go looking for Mills & Boon books this month and who may have seen this cover already and who think you may have read this book before, you haven't. This is not the same book!

Why do I feel like an idiot explaining this? Where do you suppose the public gets its perception that "all romance books are alike?" Could it be from the covers?

Now I'm wondering, were those all the same palm tree?



1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Probably the same palm tree - they're pretty difficult to find here in the UK so when you find a good one you have to hang on to it.

I know that Lessons from a Latin Lover (which is a great book)is not the same as The Antonides Marriage Deal (which I'm sure will be a great book when I get my copy) but I have to say that that is a great cover. So if you had to have a cover that got used twice, then it's a great one to get repeated. And I saw your books in the shops on Saturday in Reading - and it looked really lovely and stood out which can't be a bad thing.

Better than a palm tree anyway for a big city book

Kate

03 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home