Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Men in shorts and in books

I lied.

Not intentionally. But remember the other day when I was complaining that, in my infinite wisdom and bad timing I had written two books about soccer-playing heroes, and neither one of them was coming out in the year of the World Cup?

Well, the French, bless their hearts, have remedied that. Une leçon de charme is the French version of Lessons From A Latin Lover -- about striker Joaquin Santiago and tomboy Molly McGillivray.

It is out now, apparently -- or was out in June -- just in time for those wonderful French men in shorts to pull out all the stops and play better soccer than they've played in a while. I'm quite sure they are not doing it in honor of my book (I wish), especially because Joaquin is (shh!) Spanish. But I'm just thrilled that one way or another the book is actually coming out somewhere that a) they like soccer and b) they are playing it well at the moment.

In honor of that, I'm giving away two copies -- one in French and one in English -- of Lessons From a Latin Lover. Just send me an email at anne.mcallister(at)gmail.com if you want to win one of them. Please let me know if you prefer the French or the English version.


Gunnar the flatcoat (who reads Proust and who therefore must at least read French -- and maybe even speak it) will pick the winners, whose names will be announced on the blog. So enter early, enter often -- and check back on Sunday night to see who the winners are!



The fireworks last night were, I hear, excellent. I never saw them. I was inside the house commiserating with Roy, my grand-dog. He used to live with my oldest son, but when he could no longer keep him, Roy got to go live at the Hancock House. So he is still my grand-dog, even if he has new parents.


Roy is a perfect host -- makes everyone feel welcome. The only thing he doesn't like is -- fireworks. So he and I spent the evening sitting in the butler's pantry. I love saying butler's pantry. Like I would know anyone who actually had a house in which there was a butler's pantry. Amazing.

Spence and Sadie are busy working. Thank heavens. With luck you won't hear from them -- or about them -- for a while.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

>>just in time for those wonderful French men in shorts to pull out all the stops and play better soccer than they've played in a while

And they did! Va Va Voom indeed.

05 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home