Thursday, July 06, 2006

Romance Novelists Association

In America we have Romance Writers of America - aka RWA - which is the professional organization for both published and unpublished authors of romance fiction (as well as editors, agents, etc). In UK there is the Romance Novelists Association -- aka RNA -- which is a similar but not identical group that many romance novelists in the British Isles are members of.

This weekend they are having their annual conference at Penrith. And I am missing it. Three years ago (that long? Good grief!) I was invited to speak at the RNA conference when it was held in Guildford. And I had a wonderful time meeting authors whose books I'd read, other wannabe/gonnabe authors some of whom are now published. I really enjoye talking to them about publishing in America and learning more about publishing in UK.

It's a much smaller conference than the RWA national conferences which run well over 1000 and sometimes over 2000 people. And one of the really great features of it is the intimacy of the setting and the opportunity to get to know almost everyone at least a bit if you make an effort. The classes were very interesting, too. Some of them were very much like the ones we have in the US. But some are particular to the types of books that sell well in Britain, but don't "translate" to sales in the American market.

It was a challenge to figure out why that is the case, especially because the books themselves don't need to be translated. What makes one sort of romance sell in one particular country and not in another? It has to do with the romantic fantasy. There are what you might call "universal" romantic fantasies. And then there are those that speak to people on, perhaps, a more national level. People who share a history share certain fantasies. And other people who read them do not relate to those fantasies in quite the same way.

Sometime when I don't have to go off and write more book -- as I do tonight -- I want to get into that more deeply. But for now, just let me wish all those attending RNA a wonderful conference. Enjoy yourselves. Learn lots. And think of me. I really wish I were there!

Don't forget -- if you want to win a copy of Lessons From a Latin Lover in English, French or Italian, drop me a note at anne.mcallister(at) gmail.com by Sunday morning, July 9th. Gunnar is getting ready to pick the winners!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Styles said...

We shall miss you!

Have I said how handsome Gunnar looks?

I shall be interested to see your thoughts on the different fantasies...

People could use the foriegn language copies to learn the different language, through a comparion of the different texts.

I am not going to ask about a certain hero and heroine...

06 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home