Thursday, November 09, 2006

Playing with Flags . . . and Genealogy

Flynn and Sara are still out for coffee, so I'm spinning my wheels here. I promised yesterday that I would put in the flag game, so here it is.



It's a lovely time waster -- and it's educational, too. I have discovered that I can actually make educated guesses at flags I'm not familiar with if I can just remember what colors those men in shorts were wearing during the World Cup this past summer. Doesn't always work, but it is a help.

I've also got a flag from India now, which is very nice to have. Thank you, visitor from India. Come back again. Bring friends!

I've been to visit Kate's blog and discovered that it is being overseen by a cat while she's away. No big surprise which cat has taken charge. I'm surprised, actually, that he's not blogging as he has been writing me long missives since she's left for Wales. He's taken umbrage to the fact that she thinks whales are more interesting than he is. I've explained about the difference the H makes, but he's not impressed. It takes a lot to impress that cat.

I'm also writing a review of a course I took recently online from Pharos Teaching and Tutoring. The course was in doing English and Welsh genealogical research online. There is such a proliferation of material these days that it's hard to know where to begin and how to best use one's time. The tutors at Pharos do an excellent job of helping genealogists come to terms with that. I found the course very useful -- and the quality of instruction excellent. My review will be in the new online journal Digital Genealogist coming, I think, in January. Maybe in late December. I'm not sure of the publishing schedule.

But if you are interested in family history, particularly what's available online, check it out. The first ever issue was published last month and is available for download for free. If you like what you see, you may want to subscribe. DG is Elizabeth Kelley Kersten's followup to Genealogical Computing, which she edited for MyFamily.com but which is no longer being published.

If you get 20 out of 20 on the flag quiz, let me know. I'll publish your brilliance and salute you!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear TLATP (the lady across the pond)

I know the difference between Whales and Wales. What I fail to comprehend is why my dear Kate should prefer to spend any time with either when she could be home with me!

It is not as if I do not give her continual attention. I wrap myself around her keyboard with great enthusiasm. I even walk upon it at times. I bask in the sun of her bay window overlooking the drive. I recline on the sofas and chairs. I peek out the door of the pleasure dome at her with great frequency.

AND I am always ready to have cat crunchies. If she is bored, I never fail to suggest ways we can enliven her life - giving me more cat crunchies comes to mind. Or salmon. I do not mind a bit of salmon.

Bob (that is, R Redford to the uninitiated) prefers Greenies (but he is a cat of no great taste). There are those who do like Greenies, and I say, Fine. Leave the salmon to me. All to me.

I believe my dear Kate is returning tomorrow. I shall be waiting. There is an impatient Greek waiting too. He is useless in the cat crunchie department, in case you were wondering. Doesn't have a clue. Sad, really.

12 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home