Friday, February 09, 2007

Packing Light


The theory is that you should only need one suitcase to go anywhere.

I hope that's true. I've never found it to be so yet, but then I tend to end up going to RWA conferences or to RNA conferences or weddings or totally different climates from the one I'm living in -- which require not just changes of clothes but completely different sorts of clothes.

I'm giving Ireland the chance to prove it.

No conferences. One "no-you-can't-wear-your-jeans-here" dinner. A not-quite-castle which has given no indication that it requires one to 'dress for dinner.' So I'm traveling light.

That could be because it's so cold here right now that I'm going to be wearing five layers on my back and there will be very little left in my suitcase. Other than books. I'm bringing Abby books. And wool socks. I never go anywhere without wool socks, especially not in the winter. And a notebook and pen. And my camera. I never go anywhere without that these days, either. It's so small and easily transportable. And several little card whatsits to stick in it for the pictures.

It's all in one suitcase. And there's a tiny bit of room left over. When the books leave I will have space to bring things home (she said h0pefully). I can't imagine what I need in Ireland, though, besides inspiration. And I definitely need a lot of that.

I had hoped to have all the New York City part of Flynn and Sara's book done before I leave on Tuesday. I suspect that's not going to happen now. I at least hope I'll be into chapter two!

Theo stuck his head in a few minutes ago and wondered if I'd had any more Grooms' Contest entries. Actually yes, I've had two more. He says to remind you that you have until tomorrow night to enter. Not much time left. Last chance!

Gunnar is waiting eagerly to pick the winner. I know Sid will be picking the winner at Kate's. I'm not sure who does the honor at Liz's. She has grandcats and granddogs, too, I think. Maybe they do the choosing. Or maybe she has a resident selection committee.

I had hoped to have my new redesigned website up by Valentine's Day, but my webmistress said no. She says it needs time and fiddling and restructuring. So we're hoping maybe April 1st. But don't hold me to it.

Thank you everyone who sent suggestions. We've taken them into consideration. She's making changes and will send me some rough ideas when I get back. By then I hope I will be so deep in Flynn and Sara's book that I barely have time to notice (except to say, "Yes, how wonderful!").

The box of children's books has been sorted and parceled out -- one package to each kid with their respective favorites in it -- and one small box to remain here so I can read them to grandkids who come visit. I read The Gingerbread Man out loud tonight.

The last three pages are missing. It didn't matter. I can say them by heart even after all these years!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Have a wonderful trip and take care of Flynn! Speaking of Flynn and Sara, will you draw from your New York trip the "familiar" and "unfamiliar" which you spoke about in your Once Upon a Romance interview? By the way, the interview with Connie was wonderful.

I encourage all to see Anne's interview at http://www.onceuponaromance.net/AnneMcAllisterInterview.htm.

I watched the Nora Roberta's movie the other night (Montana Sky) and immediately thought of you living in the West and writing such grand books which feature cowboys, etc.

Can't wait to hear about your adventures and will be you seeing the lovely Ms. Kate, Sid and the BM?

10 February, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Marilyn. I don't think Flynn and Sara will be dancing under the stars. They are pretty much at odds while they're in New York City, I fear. We'll see how it works out as time passes.

I missed Montana Sky, but I read the book! Thanks for the kind words about my cowboys. Not sure when I'll get to do another one. I miss them.

Yes, I'll see Kate and the BM and Abby Green (who wrote the great Frenchman's Chosen Bride) but will not see Sid this time -- unless he sneaks into their luggage and comes across the Irish Sea. But as Kate says that weight of luggage is a HUGE issue on this flight, I suspect Sid's weight would be somewhat noticeable if he tried it!

10 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home