Sunday, September 16, 2007

Eamon . . . again

I really have to write a hero named Eamon. And a heroine named Abby, of course.

Abby Green is simply goading me into it. This all began when I was trying to find a name for Flynn Murray's horse-mad younger brother. I wanted to call him Eamon. I thought it was a good name. In fact I almost got to name a son that (so there, Abby!). Only a family name came first.

But I liked it then. I still like it now.

Suffice to say, Abby doesn't. Or says she doesn't. She complains that it is the name mothers give 50 year old bachelor farmer sons who wear cardigans. I'm relatively sure the sons in question weren't born age 50 -- or in cardigans -- but Abby is insistent.

She made such a fuss that I took her at her word and named Flynn's brother Dev instead. He seems like a Dev and I am perfectly happy with the name.

I probably would have let the Eamon issue die a quiet death, but Abby went on holiday to some remote spot in Ireland and found a postcard with, she says, Eamon on it (though this Eamon's cardigan didn't seem to have buttons and seemed to be rather, um, attached). So she sent it to me.

I thought he was a handsome sheep. I said so.

Then Abby went on holiday to Greece. I had an email when she got back saying that Eamon's cousin was on his way. I thought I'd get a Greek sheep next. But I got a Greek shepherd instead. At least I guess he's a shepherd. Still no cardigan, but he does have a rather woolly mustache.

And then last week, out of the blue, Eamon appeared again in yet another form. This time he's on an apron. And a very sprightly lad he looks, too. I wore him on the weekend. We baked together. Then we cooked a roast for dinner. He's a very good cook.

Do you suppose this means that my Eamon should be a chef? Maybe not. I can't see my editor thinking that was a "Presentsy" occupation. Got any ideas, anyone?

Other than Abby, that is, who seems to have far too many ideas and way too much time on her hands!

All I can say, Abby is, just you wait. Eamon is going to come calling at your house next. He thinks you're quite enchanting. And he's impressed that you are paying so much attention to him.

He thinks that you might just be protesting a bit too much!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just my way of letting you indulge your love for the name Eamon - while here in Ireland there are a few rebels who are still naming their baby boys Eamon, I'm confident that the name is quietly dying out...apart from a few woolly cousins in the hills around the west of Ireland...and on aprons...suffice to say, no Eamon will ever darken the pages of any book I write...if it ever happens I'll eat that apron...!
x Abby

17 September, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Well, of course you do realize that there is a baby Eamon in Flynn and Sara's book. His mother is Daisy. Can't imagine why. And Abigail is, um, the other woman. But all connections are purely coincidental!

17 September, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

I love you guys! You always brighten up my night. Thanks for the chuckle and Abby, I love the name Eamon. I say, "Go for it Anne". I also love the apron. Maybe you could make the hero a CEO of a company that manufactures chefs apparel with cute little critters on them. LOL. Do you think presents would go for that? Maybe you could name the company Eamons.

Don't mind me. I like starting trouble but, I really do like the name Eamon. Mad:)

18 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mad you're skating on thin ice there! I'm off to London for the weekend where hopefully there won't be an Eamon in sight!
x Abby

19 September, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

We'll wear her down yet, Mad! And that's not a bad idea about the chefs' apparel -- maybe kitchen gear. Hmmm. Worth thinking about.

Have fun in Lunnon, Abby! May there be lots of Eamons in sight.

19 September, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

Anne, between you and me, I'm sure we can wear Abby down and, I'm sure she will meet up with at least a few little Eamons in Jolly old England.

Have a good trip Abby and, be sure to have fun and watch out for those cute little Eamons. Mads:)

19 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No comment!
x Abby

20 September, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

Sorry Abby, I couldn't help myself. I hope you had fun in England. By the way, if Anne didn't already tell you, I absolutely loved your book. Very good night time reading. Kudos to you! Mads:)

20 September, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

I'll be sure to point out your comment to Abby when she gets back, Mads. She'll be sooo pleased. Glad you enjoyed it.

20 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home