Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Old Dogs and New Tricks


The old dog would be me. The new trick is figuring out what I'm doing with my blog and my website.

My webmistress has set it up so that I can use Contribute to edit it. And as soon as I get the hang of Contribute, we should be fine.

At the moment, I'm pretty basic in my ability to cope. I have not yet mastered word wrap. There doesn't even seem to be an entry for "word wrap" in any of the "help" menus I've found.

I'm considering buying a book that will get me up to speed (old dogs can read, after all, even if they aren't really great at website stuff). Anyone have any good recommendations on books that can teach me what to do with Contribute 3.1 (I think it's C3.1)? I found three on Amazon, but I'm not sure which of them would be the most useful.

All this is not getting my book written, either. But it's getting closer. I do have a second line now, to go with my first. This is promising. Now I only need about 200 pages more of them. And they have to make sense.

4 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

Hi Anne, I'm as in the dark as you but, my son, who just graduated from college, designs websites for a living now. I'll ask him if he has any advice on what would be the best book for a beginner. I'll let you know what he says as soon as I hear from him. Good Luck and you definitely can teach an old dog new tricks. I'm an old dog and I learn something new every day. Hang in there. Hugs, Mads:)

12 September, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

It's "Contribute" that I'm in the dark about, Mads. The rest of it is pretty much okay. So if he has recommendations on Contribute, that would be great. My webmistress pointed me in the direction of some "how to" videos which might suffice -- if I find time to watch them.

I'm neck deep in Seb and Neely at the moment, and I have just been given a terrific reason for charging ahead with it. I'll blog about it in a few days, I hope. In the meantime, I'm just WRITING!

13 September, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

Hi Anne, I talked to my son and he said to tell you, when you have the time to check out this site. http//safari.oreilly.com/0789733854part06
He said you should find what you want about contribute3.1 there and also to check out the site for adobe press.

If you have any specific questions you can contact him at papaflamingo123@yahoo.com
Tell him what you want to find and he can help you to find what you need. I didn't have the specifics so I couldn't give him all the information that he needed to advise me on the best book for you to get.

He's a good kid and believe me he knows all about websites and blogs and, can advise you much better than I ever could.

Your book came yesterday and I'm starting it tonight. I'll let you know what I think and I can't wait to read it.

All the best, Mads:)

16 September, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks so much, Mads. And thank your son, too. I'll check out the site he suggested right now.

I hope you enjoy Spence and Sadie!

Anne

16 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home