Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Christmas Recipes

In my current book-free state I have been contemplating Christmas recipes. This began when Anne Gracie asked me about which recipe I thought she should make for a certain occasion.

It snowballed from there.

Well, here it snowballed. In Australia, I gather, it would be sizzling instead. Even I, who grew up in California, have trouble imagining a Christmas where things routinely melt. We never melted at Christmas. Though it wasn't ever really "cold" on the coast, it was often damp and shivery all the way to the bone.

Anyway, the discussion of recipes, and the arrival of two of her best for me to experiment with, has led me to contemplate my own favorite Christmas recipes.

There is a date bar recipe of my mother's I'm very fond of (and which the family story reminds me that when my mom sent them to my stepdad's grandmother for Christmas the first year they were married, she got a lovely note back thanking her for the little meat pies). Then there's her lemon bars recipe. And the spritz recipe from the spritz maker gizmo, and the cut-out Christmas cookies with the bit of orange peel and mace.

And just last week we made the orange-cranberry cookies which I suggested to Anne would make brilliant Christmas cookies, only to discover that Australia doesn't do cranberries. At least not fresh ones. Poor deprived people. I don't suppose they get the same effect using Vegemite.

So . . . this brings me to a question.

What are your favorite Christmas recipes -- for cookies or for whatever else you habitually make at this time of year?

I need to start thinking about getting these things done because soon there will be revisions. And I should take advantage of the time I have now. I'll be making my traditional cookies and breads and other goodies. But I like to broaden my horizons.

So share your best recipes, please. I could use some great new ideas to add to the ones I make year after year.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate Hardy said...

Fave recipes for any kind of festive gathering (Christmas or birthday or just the family getting together) would be the cheese stars and the choc-chip cookies. If the do is here, I get phone calls reminding me that the goodies are expected. If it's elsewhere, I get phone calls asking very nicely if I would bring them...

Recipes are at http://www.katehardy.com/recipes.html (the lemon cake normally goes down pretty well too, and I think you could do the 'glorified cheese on toast' (English muffins as a base for pizza) with little slices of baguette as canapes)

28 November, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Thanks, Kate. I'll be hunting down your recipes! They sound wonderful.
Making me hungry. I shouldn't have read this before breakfast!

28 November, 2007  
Blogger Christa said...

beside rum and eggnog, have to think on this one

02 December, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hope you come up with a couple of good ones, Christa! Right now I'm baking biscotti.

02 December, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home