Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Baby For Christmas


I wrote a book called A Baby For Christmas a few years back. It was all about the unexpectedness of a baby on a doorstep -- or a veranda in this case -- and what happened next.

It was a lot of fun to write, and at this time of year I get nostalgic for babies at Christmas -- even fictional ones.

I hadn't planned on having one of our own.

And technically, we don't. But that's only if you define Christmas narrowly, as in "December 25th."

We're not narrow constructionists. Around our house Christmas is expandable.

And to our delight our newest granddaughter, Ellie, is coming in 10 days for a holiday visit!

It was a serendipitous spur of the moment sort of thing. We certainly hadn't planned it. We'd expected we wouldn't see her or any of the out-of-state family this year. Then we got one of those 'weekend fare' emails that announce flights from nowhere to nowhere.

Only this time they had a flight going from Somewhere to Very-Nearly-Here! I couldn't believe my eyes. Not only that, but affordable, too.

And so Ellie -- and her parents -- are coming for Christmas (actually from the 15th to the 18th). But that works for us. We can hardly wait.

I'll have to have the revisions done by the end of the week so I can put up the tree and start getting the house ready for the early Christmas holiday!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

How lovely for you to have Ellie coming to stay. From the looks of that picture she is growing fast - and beautifully! She's a real sweetie.

I hope you all have a wonderful time together - I'm sure you will.

Enjoy every moment

05 December, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

Wow Anne! What a wonderful Christmas present. Have fun and enjoy your visit with your beautiful grandbaby and her parents.

05 December, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Kate and Mads,
Yes, we are beyond delighted, believe me! I am madly finishing revisions so I can then begin to madly clean house and arrange a large enough space in the 'guest bedroom' for a small crib as well as the regular bed. But it will be such fun to have them here.

05 December, 2007  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

What a lovely lovely early Christmas present for you.

06 December, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home