Saturday, December 01, 2007

Here Comes The Ice


Winter has arrived.

Or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Yesterday they (the National Weather Service, the name of which makes it sound like they provide the weather instead of predict it or diagnose it or guess it) said we were going to get a gigantic nasty ice and snow storm starting Saturday.

We said, Uh huh.

Or words to that effect.

The National Weather Service is, locally, less than reliable about the timing of its prediction. It's generally more or less accurate about what is coming, but rarely about when it will show up.

Today they were spot on.

9 a.m -- winter storm, they said. And about 9:04 it began to precipitate. You could barely see it at first. None of those big fat wet snowflakes. Nope. This stuff was seriously incognito. You had to stare at our neighbor's dark green yew bushes intently to see something whizzing past vertically. But it was there.

It was ice.

We continued to have ice for the rest of the day. Occasionally we had a bit of snow. Now and then there was some rain. Mostly ice. And more ice.

Not nice.

My friend Linda came to visit on Friday (she with whom I share Jess Harper) and is still here. No possible way she could go anywhere, though she'd intended to drive home this morning. Tomorrow, maybe. In the meantime , ice. And more ice.

We have now watched all 13 episodes of Wonderfalls. This is the third time through for me, and I love them just as much as I did the first and second times. It was Linda's first trip through the series. She loves it, too. If you haven't seen it, rent it.

If you've watched Pushing Daisies this season, you'll recognize Lee Pace. He was great in Wonderfalls -- a harbinger of things to come. I wish they'd find good spots for all the other great members of that cast. We did crosswords. We ate biscotti.

A good time was had by all (The Prof enjoyed the biscotti. He didn't watch Wonderfalls or do crosswords. Too busy with end of the term papers).

Everyone should have an ice storm where they don't have to go anywhere. It's a wonderful chance to kick back and relax and enjoy good company.

The revision letter came Friday. Tweaks. Nothing more. I'm sooooo happy. That made the ice storm even better!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

I get distracted easily so this morning I was watching a father and his two sons taking turns on a snow mobile in the park that is right beside the apartment building.
I went and did my grocery shopping and all on Friday morning because they were predicting high winds in the afternoon, and boy could you hear it howling out there Friday and Sat. But it wasn't until this morning that I woke up to a blanket of white. Luckily I don't need to go anywhere and can just curl up with a good book.

02 December, 2007  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Ah, so it left us and has zapped you, Christa! We haven't had high winds, though. Thank heavens. I'm not a great fan of wind. Breezes, yes. Wind, no thanks. I'm glad you got your shopping done and can curl up with a book now. Best place to be!

02 December, 2007  
Blogger Madeline said...

Ahhh! So you're the one who sent this storm our way. LOL! We've had ice storms and lots of snow all week. It looks like it's going to be like this for the rest of the week. I guess that's what I should expect, living way up in the mountains.

I'm glad that you and your friend had some good times together. I make homemade biscotti. If I can find a way of sending you some, without it breaking to pieces, I'll send some to you. There is nothing like homemade biscotti, and a good cup of coffee or tea, on a cold winter day.

I hope you and your family have a really wonderful Christmas and a New Year filled with all that you wish for.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Mads:)

04 December, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home