Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Friendship and Johnny Depp

What are friends for?

Well, to take you to the airport, for one thing.

So that's what I did today, took my friend Nancy to the airport. This is Nancy-the-cat-slayer from the Ireland trip that we are talking about.

If you don't remember Nancy, herewith the incriminating photo of her with Archie the cat from Flynn's castle (aka Ballyvolane House) and the very nasty looking instrument that could have spelled Archie's demise -- if Nancy were the bloodthirsty type.

She's not.

She's a good friend. One of the best. Has been for years. She has taken care of Gunnar the Proust-reading dog and his mates, Micah and Mitch, many times. She took care of earlier dogs and cats in the McAllister household. She's knitted baby blankets for McAllister grandchildren, fed lots of McAllisters lots of meals, and has always been here in times of stress and distress to do the right thing.


So naturally when she needed to go to the airport, I took her to the airport.

And didn't go see Johnny Depp.

Imagine that.

Johnny and -- more interesting to me, but apparently not to everyone else -- Christian Bale are currently making a film called Public Enemies.

It's the story of John Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd and Baby Face Nelson and the feds who are tracking them down.

And part of it is being filmed in a small town a little more than spitting distance (across the Mississippi) from where we live at this time of year.

There is a void in the Badger state now that Brett Favre has retired. Apparently Johnny is Wisconsin's attempt to fill his shoes.

Anyway, today Johnny is there.

Maybe Christian is, too.

The Hand-of-Depp was recently seen waving out a car window. Shrieks of joy were apparently heard.

I wouldn't know. I was at the airport.

Is he going to be there tomorrow? Is Christian? Was Christian there at all?

Maybe the local newspaper will shed light on this in subsequent editions. Unless I think to look online, I won't know because I don't get the local paper.

Tomorrow I might have to, just to find out what I missed while I was at the airport.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Aaah, memories of Ballyvolane . . . Say Hi to Nany The CS from me when you see her again. And to Christian too - I'm in your camp on the JD/CB debate.

20 March, 2008  
Blogger Kate Walker said...

NanCy!
Of course I meant NanCy - not Nany!

20 March, 2008  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

LOL. I think Christain Bale is far more... interesting.
And yes, local papers are funny that way. When Prince Harry stopped at the local convienance store for sweets and then had a meal at one of the Indians in Hexham, the episode made the front page ofthe Courant.There again the Courant's take on the Titanic was local man drowns at sea...

20 March, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Will pass on your good wishes to Nancy the CS, Kate.

And Michelle, the Courant sounds exactly like our paper! I think it's the way of all locals.

20 March, 2008  
Blogger Ally Blake said...

Ooooh, Anne! Tres jealous. Christian Bale is my very fave, well, man (apart from my husband ;)) and he's been the hero inspiration for more books of mine that I dare admit. IOf you do get the chance to say "hello" give him a wave from me, okay?
Ta!
Ally

21 March, 2008  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Will do, Ally. But probably I'll be at the airport!!!!

21 March, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home