Friday, July 28, 2006

Islands . . . where do we go from here?

I've been researching resorts in Fiji. Sadly, not firsthand. I would love to do it firsthand, believe me. But I don't have the time right now. And I thought a break from the Caribbean was a good idea, but I can't seem to get islands out of my mind.

One of my favorite things about writing is the research -- even when I don't get to go to Fiji. It's so much fun to learn about other places and other occupations and lifestyles. I've always loved the times I've spent in New York City because it gives me a whole different view -- and energy -- than I get in Montana or Iowa. When I grew up in a small beach town in California, that had its own charm. And my recent Seattle visit confirmed that I will never quite get the 'ocean' out of my blood.

Maybe that's why I visit islands vicariously in my books even when I can't go in person. One of my favorites is Harbour Island in the Bahamas. We spent two weeks there a few years ago, and in one way or another, Harbour Island has become Pelican Cay and every other Bahamaian island I've ever written about. I made long lists of details while I was there, so I could dip into them when I was home and needed something to convey a sight or sound or emotion. I also took a load of pictures and the last time I was there, I took my video camera and took movies.

That was before I could just go back by making a few mouse clicks and thus get there via the internet. I've been mouse clicking my way around Fiji and other South Pacific destinations. Seeing some great places I'd love to visit for real. And Spence and Sadie are enjoying the tour.

I had to rip up four pages that I wrote from the wrong point of view yesterday. So now I think I'm back on track. I hope so. Time is running short.

If anyone has suggestions for a great Fijian or other South Pacific destination, please comment. I would love to have more ideas. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home