Monday, July 24, 2006

Ferries, Waiting and Life in the Pacific Northwest

We took the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston today. Lovely trip, glassy sound, not a cloud in the sky. The only problem is that there are always LOTS of other people taking the ferry, too. So we got there in good time this morning and we had a great day in Port Townsend where I found lots of interesting places that would be great to live and intriguing bookshops and great food and nifty houses. But I would doubtless never leave because I wouldn't want the hassle of waiting for the ferry.

We intended to catch the 4:30 ferry back to Edmonds. And we were there in time. But, of course, there were LOTS of other people intending to catch the same ferry, and so we all queued up and waiting. And the ferry left and we were still waiting. And so were LOTS of other people. But eventually the other ferry returned and we did catch it, and as we walked through the cabin we got to hear people on cell phones all saying to whomever they were talking to, "Well, we're FINALLY on the ferry and so we won't be there by 6:00, but we'll be there by 7:00 for sure." Apparently from what the in-laws say, that's a typical conversation.

So, it's a great place to be if you aren't on a schedule (which we weren't) and it was absolutely beautiful and it made me want to whip out lots of my old Washington-set Jayne Ann Krentz books and re-read them now that I have a better idea of the countryside she sometimes writes about. It's just no place to go if you need to be someplace at a particular time that's on the other side of the water.

But lateness is a small price to pay for such astounding beauty.

I bought a couple of birthday gifts today. Now I have to figure out how to pack them and get them home. Fortunately I didn't pick heavy stuff for a change. Only one book. What a miracle.

Am going to make Spence work all the way home. He's got to get off his plane by the time I get off mine. He's been on his quite a bit longer, so it's time. We are now deep into the middle of the book and we need to push for the end.

Thanks to Kate Walker for dropping by. I'm glad to see she reached Wales and will start teaching soon. I'm sure there are lots of lucky students out there ready to learn. And congratulations of VITO getting the editorial blessing and acceptance. I hope he is an inspiration for Spence!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Spence

I just wanted to say - stop figihting your author, Anne. It seems to me that these writers perhaps know what they are doing, even when we cannot see it! I let Kate Walker talk to me and to Emilia - and look where we are now. I believe it is called a Happy Ever After . . .

And no, you may not ask what we are doing! But I would advise you to listen to the lady Anne, even if it seems like she is only intent on causing you trouble - believe me, all will be well!

Your friend

Vittorio Corsentino
(Vito)

25 July, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Yea, Vito! And I hear you've been "accepted" by Kate's editor, too, so all well and good and happily ever after indeed.

I hope Spence listens. Cross your fingers.

26 July, 2006  
Blogger anne frasier said...

i remember taking a ferry to martha's vineyard when i was 16. nightmare. i think we waited all day. shoulder to shoulder people. hot. i felt like a refugee. then you finally get on one, and i think maybe it was 3 hours to MV. seemed like it if it wasn't. then it started raining, and we were in an open area, packed shoulder to shoulder again. by the time we got there and uloaded, it was dark. seemed like they unloaded the cars first? because the thing that always stuck in my mind from that trip was this young couple dressed in tattered clothes, shuffling around on the deck, barefoot, dirty, the girl walking a couple of feet behind the guy. when they arrived their car was unloaded and they jumped in. a brand new BMW convertable. :D that would have been about 1969 or 70.

26 July, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Wow, Anne, your experience was far worse than mine. We were just in a LONG line of cars (well, okay, several lines) and it wasn't that bad on a Monday. I can imagine that a weekend in summer would be worse by far.

No BMWs for us either. Whole lotta Subarus in the Pacific Northwest!

I'm now having second thoughts about ever wanting to visit Martha's Vineyard, though. Maybe in the off-season. During a gale.

26 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home