Tuesday, July 11, 2006

When a plan comes together . . .

When my kids were little and George Peppard was running "The A-Team" and they used to occasionally go watch it at a friend's house (we didn't have a tv, which was a great blessing, but got my kids some odd looks for their "cultural deprivation" now and then), he used to say (I know because I have seen it, too), "I love it when a plan comes together!" -- as inevitably it did right when it needed to.

I know exactly how he feels. Because Spence and Sadie (who can once again be named because they are back in my good graces) finally came together.

Not "together"together. Not like that! Not yet!

But the story -- it works. Finally. I thought it would. Actually they knew it would. But no one knew how until yesterday. Yesteday all the pieces finally fit. The wording at the pivotal point finally came together, the magic occurred. The door to the happy ending opened. Now . . . all I have to do is write it!

Which doesn't leave me a lot of time, granted. But it does mean that I know the lay of the land. No gulleys or gulches or unexpected volcanoes. There will be surprises, I'm sure. But the "there be dragons" warning signs have come down. The plan has come together. The map has appeared. Someone even lit the road lamps along the way (thanks, Jason!). I'm grinning ear to ear.

It's interesting the way it works. The point upon which everything hung was very simple. It doesn't even look pivotal. Unless you pivot wrong. And then you fall. And you pick yourself up and start again, and turn again. And fall. And fall. And fall.

The good news is, you know where to start looking for answers. They don't fall far from the pivotal point usually. And in this case, they came early enough in the book that I didn't have a lot to rethink. So . . . now we'll see if Spence and Sadie cooperate for the next few weeks. I dare hope. They were on the mark yesterday. Working up a storm.

I do love it when a plan comes together! And I'm very grateful for friends who will talk about people who don't exist (not in this reality anyway) and treat them and their problems like real irritating people who need to be sorted out. It really helps.

The books have gone out to the winners of the Lessons From A Latin Lover/Men in Shorts drawing. So if you were a winner, keep an eye out for your book.

I've just finished reading Twelve Sharp, Janet Evanovich's new Stephanie Plum book. I have read all of the Plum books and I have my favorites, but I believe Twelve Sharp has gone to the top -- or very close to the top -- of the list. The reason? Because the plot is so personal to the characters. It stems out of who the characters are. It's not a mystery that needs to be solved "out there." It cuts close to the bone for Stephanie and Ranger and Joe -- and that's what made it a great book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home