Sunday, July 23, 2006

Bridal showers and other fun times

Greetings from Seattle where I appear to have brought the hot weather that Iowa was having before I left. It cooled off precipitously on Friday there -- and was something like 92 degrees in Seattle when I landed late Friday night. 92? Who'd believe it?

Anyway, it has been beautiful and sunny (and HOT) since I got here. And I've had a marvelous time. The bride got great gifts at her shower and, judging from the sort she got, she's going to have to cook all of us wonderful dinners and serve them with great style and panache (which I'm sure she will do). It was not a 'silly games' sort of shower -- if you don't count the bride getting a bridal gown made out of TP! It was definitely a lot of fun. And I'm sure the wedding in four weeks time will be even more memorable.

Today everyone in Seattle appears to have been either on the water or in the water or next to the water or driving to get to water. So we encountered lots of traffic while seeing gorgeous sights. It's been many years since I was here, and I never saw much the first and only time, so this has been a very eye-opening visit. I can see wonderful potential for settings for books. It's too bad that there are so many other books already set here -- especially by people who know it much better than I ever could.

I wrote some Spence and Sadie on an airplane while I was on the airplane, but then I got distracted by the views and by a book I was reading. So they are still on the plane winging their way across the Pacific to Fiji, while I will have to get them off it tonight before I go to bed, so I can do something more useful on the way home. It's interesting writing about a plane trip while I'm actually flying. Certainly the details are easier to come by -- except that Spence and Sadie are traveling in business class and I was not!

Back Tuesday. Hope Kate Walker is having a good time teaching in Wales. That sounds like a lot of fun. Almost as much fun as riding the ferry in Puget Sound, watching the salmon climb their "fish ladders" and having the best Vietnamese food I've ever had tonight for dinner. Seattle is a great city. I hope I get back before another 30 years goes by!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Hi from Wales!

I haven't started teaching yet - we spent the weekend in Malvern looking into your favourite sort of shops - bookshops. Then the heavens opened in the most amazing storm and then we travelled on to Wales.

Now the BM is teaching and I'm waiting for my course to start on Wednesday

So far it's a lot of fun - but the ferry and the fish ladders sound even more fun

Kate

24 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home