Friday, December 01, 2006

Spence: Back at last . . .

I'm back.

Or should I say, WE'RE back. Because, thank God, Sadie's here, too.

It's been a heck of a year. We've been in England -- and in Canada -- (not to mention New York, Montana, Los Angeles and Fiji where we were in the book) and now, finally, we're home. At last.

We shoul
d get frequent flyer miles for all this running around. But I don't care because it's just good to be back. The bummer is that Anne says we can't stay.

We're only here in galleys, she says. And that means that she's got out her red pencil and she's reading the fine print of the galleys, and as soon as she's done making all her corrections (nitpicking, I call it. She says she's making sure we get the best book we can), then we go back to England AGAIN.

Whatever.

I'm tired.

I thrive on challenges. They whet my appetite, get the old adrenaline pumping. But, honest to God, Sadie Morrissey is the biggest challenge I've ever met.

You wouldn't think so. She seems sane and sensible (mostly) and she works her tail off. I'll give her that. But just when a guy thinks he's got her figured out -- wham, she knocks him sideways.


Not literally. Mentally. But that's just as bad.

Right now she's reading over Anne's shoulder, saying, "You're going to let him get away with that?" as if Anne could control what I do!

I'm the boss. It says so in the title --
The Boss's Wife For A Week. See? "Boss" -- that's me. And Sadie? Well, I'm sure you can figure out who she is.

That's how it started, at least. That's not how it ends, thank God.

Though she didn't exactly make it easy, Sadie didn't.
Put me through all kinds of hell. Serves me right, she says.

But though she mutters and grumbles sometimes, Sadie's
as glad we got a happy ending as I am. Believe it.

Oh, yeah. Anne says she'll be back tomorrow with a winner to Theo and Marth
a's contest.

And Sadie says to tell you all merry Christmas. So, merry Christmas -- from both of us. It will definitely be the best one I've ever had. Sadie and I've g
ot something special to celebrate. You'll find out all about it in the book.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

Since Spence and Sadie don't get frequent flyer miles, does that mean you get them.
Now that Spence knows the title he will be impossible to live with.

01 December, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

I wish, Christa! Would be nice. Also would be nice if I could travel cyberspatially as they used to, before they became galleys.

As for the title, I think Sadie will be able to handle Mr Tyack. He just thinks he's a hotshot. But he understands who keeps things grounded and running smoothly. I imagine Sadie will remind him if he forgets!

01 December, 2006  
Blogger Christa said...

When your characters go to differenet places, do you draw on personal experience or in some cases rely on other people. Cause I've lived really close to Niagara Faals for over 30 years and do you think I could tell you anything. I take it for granted. To me it's tons of watter going over a cliff.

01 December, 2006  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

It's odd but generally I write about places I know but am not there now. Or places I've visited well enough to get a feel for them and know details about them, but don't live there. Where I live, I never write about!

Occasionally I have written about places I haven't been. But then I rely on people who have been there. My dad was in Fiji and so I used some of his memories and then I did a lot of internet research and bought books. I picked the brain of friends who have been to Greece. But I did all my own Bahamas research! And I'm still hoping to do Ireland this winter. Cross your fingers!

(And yes, I agree, you do take things for granted when you live right by them!)

01 December, 2006  
Blogger Michelle Styles said...

It is wonderful to see Spence again!

And I am very much looking forward to meeting him and Sadie in their book as it were.

Hooray on doing the galleys!

02 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you, too, again, Michelle. And Sadie and I are glad you'll be watching for the book. We worked hard in it. Anne is a bit of a slavedriver, if you want to know the truth.

She says thank you for good wishes on the galleys. She says she HATES doing them and she'll be glad to send them back. You'd think she wanted to get rid of us! She says that's not true, it's just the painstakingness of galleys she doesn't like. I don't blame her. I don't like details much myself. Leave 'em to Sadie, I told Anne. She just looked at me and shook her head.

She obviously doesn't know how to delegate!

02 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home