Thursday, July 30, 2009

Christo's Cover

I finally had a few minutes this evening to prowl through more than email. And so I looked online to see if I could find the cover for Christo's book.

Remember him? And Natalie?

I do. Barely.

Mostly I remember them as having spent far too long in my house over the holidays last year. They were like guests who had long since worn out their welcome before they finally decamped after revisions. Frankly, I'd blotted them out.

But recently several Presents authors with books out the same month as mine (that would be November 2009) were saying they hadn't seen their covers yet. Obviously I hadn't either.

Then I remembered that Kate Walker sent me the cover of PJ's book when she found it online before the Powers That Be ever sent me a copy. So I decided to go look.

Christo and Natalie's book, called One-Night Mistress...Convenient Wife (don't get your expectations raised over that, either) wasn't on the US site of amazon.com, but oddly, the US Presents cover was already posted on the UK site, amazon.co.uk!

So here it is.

Does he look like Christo? No.

Does she look like Natalie? Not at all. The hair color is even wrong.

The setting? Nope. It takes place mostly in a house on The Strand in Manhattan Beach -- or on the beach. Or in Brazil. Or . . . well, suffice to say there's not a lot of OFFICE in it, but clearly the artist was told to send the message: OFFICE ROMANCE.

There is a bit of the office thrown in -- in revisions. They asked for it. I did it.

But I walked a very narrow line the whole way. You may recall me whining that The Prof's cousin, a lawyer, kept vetting the lawyerly bits of it and ringing me to ask if I wanted to get Christo disbarred!

Er, no. I didn't, thank you very much.

I suppose that would have made an interesting story, but it was not the one I had in mind. And definitely not the one editorial hoped I would write.

Anyway, it's not the worst cover I've ever had (Snow White,and the Axe Murderer was probably that. Or maybe Jay Leno and Jimmy Cagney's Death Mask). But it's not the best, either. It's okay. No Axe Murderer. No Death Mask.

I'm counting my blessings.

What do you think?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachael Johns said...

Whatever the cover - it's the words in between that I'm hanging out for!!

:)
Rach!

31 July, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hope you're not disappointed, Rach. It's been so long ago now that I hardly remember their book! Congrats again on your placement in the contest and the very encouraging editorial comments! Here's hoping!

Anne

31 July, 2009  
Blogger Lacey Devlin said...

Well I'm thoroughly entertained by the disbarred idea. Even if they had worn out their welcome at least you were getting some entertaining phone calls ;) I'm sorry about the cover. Perhaps you could contact the front cover of your copy? lol. I'm with Rach it's the words that count :)

31 July, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Lacey
Well, the cover is not awful. Been there, had them. So I'm sanguine about almost anything in which the people look remotely human. These people are fine -- just not mine.

I hope the words between the cover work! I'll have to see what I think when I get a copy.

But first I need to get Demetrios out of here. But I'm too busy playing with Sol to bother right now. He's much more fun.

cheers,
Anne

01 August, 2009  
Blogger Caroline said...

Hi Anne. The cover is ok. But saying that I (as a reader) do get annoyed when I read a book and it refers to the "dark haired" hero/heroione, but on the cover he/she turns out to be blonde! Pulls me right out of the story - and I find it difficult to empathise with the hero/heroine after that point. But saying that if the story is good then it doesn't matter. After all it's the words that count. Take care. Caroline x

02 August, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Caroline,
I share your annoyance -- and it's worse (I think) if it's a book I've written that somehow doesn't begin to capture the people, setting, tone, ambience. I feel like it sends the wrong message. Harder, though, when the back cover copy misrepresents things. I can't begin to count the number of comments/reviews of Savas' Defiant Mistress that start by saying, "Forget the back cover copy! It's totally wrong!" (which was true, by the way). Makes me crazy.

Anyway, if you read Christo's book, I hope you find that the words between the cover work for you.

Anne

02 August, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home