Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Great American Road Trip


Miss me?

I had no idea I would be gone so long, but time flies when you're driving . . . and driving . . . and driving.

We left a week ago Monday to take a a couple of days to reach Montana to visit grandkids (and of course their parents). I hadn't been there since Hank was born and he is now three months old -- and has definitely changed a lot. Big Sis hasn't changed as much, but she didn't tip her chair over and need stitches in her head this time and we count that as a plus.

I love Montana -- even when it's the Land Of Snow And More Snow. But this time it was idyllic -- sunny, just warm enough, late afternoon rain showers that disappeared over the mountains about an hour after they arrived. Everything was green and bright and cheerful. I didn't want to leave.

Except . . .

We were heading to Washington to visit the newest grandson -- whom we hadn't yet met. That was an incentive, believe me. But we didn't make a headlong dash. Instead we detoured by La Grande, Oregon where one of my mother's first cousins and her husband of 71 years are living.

I hadn't seen them since I was ten. It felt like yesterday -- but I didn't have quite so much gray in my hair at age 10. I was skinnier too.

In any case, we had a wonderful time. They toured us all over the area, showed us the best bits of their part of the world, then took us out to eat at a wonderful Mexican restaurant. It was a treat, and we were sorry to leave.

Finally now we've arrived in Washington. We've met Sol, who is remarkably like his father. Pictures didn't do the resemblance justice, but seeing the big feet and hands certainly did. Plus in animation, he is very much his Daddy's boy.

Lovely trip. Now we get to spend a week here. And I get to tuck in Demetrios's revisions while I'm visiting Sol and, I hope, touching base with several other long lost relatives. Great fun. One of the best vacations I've had in years.

I loved my work trip to Cannes last autumn, but I must say I have found this to be a lovely change of pace. There's nothing like going across 2300 miles of America to make you appreciate the beauty and diversity of this country -- and to enjoy so many interesting people.

What about you? Are you a fan of family vacations? Getting away from it all? Exotic places? Give me some suggestions? I love to travel.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate Walker said...

Great to know ynu made it to Washibgton and Sol - i wish you every joy of your visit. We're in Wales right now -rainy WET Wales - but Caerleon Writers' Holiday is such fun it doesn't matter. We've already been asked back for next year - want to come?

Kate
whose word verification reads mismogy' - which I do - miss my moggies (and the Floozie pedigree) That's the only problem with travelling and holidaying

29 July, 2009  
Blogger bjs said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

29 July, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Kate
Glad to know you've made it to Wales! Yes, I'd love to come to Caerleon. We'll have to see if we can work it out.

You're right about missing animals left home. I miss those dogs a lot, but we have a local granddog we can enjoy -- and we left another in Montana. It's good to see them as well as the grandkids.

29 July, 2009  
Blogger Lacey Devlin said...

Who knew chairs could be so dangerous? I love the picture by the way :) I bet Sol loves his grandparents :)

29 July, 2009  
Blogger Anne McAllister said...

Hi Lacey,
It was the feet kicking away from the table that were dangerous -- the chair was merely the source of momentum once the feet had done the trick.

We hope Sol loves his grandparents! We certainly love him. He's quiet and watchful and very alert. You can definitely see him checking out the world and storing up info for future reference.

30 July, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home